Passion Vine Distress

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Can someone help me identify what is causing the yellowing and fall off of my passion vine? I did, just yesterday, apply a bougainvella and vine fertilizer to it, as well as some "Superthrive" hoping I can alleviate the problem before it becomes irreparable. Any idea what would cause this? (Note - I went on vacation for a week and had someone watering the yard.....I suspect it was drenched, at least it appeared to be upon my return).

Thumbnail by knolan
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It could be overwatering--since it was just for a short period of time hopefully the plant will recover. Next time it needs watering, you might also try a dilute solution of hydrogen peroxide--I've heard that will help prevent root rot and help the plant recover from overwatering. Yellowing leaves could mean other things besides overwatering too, but since you said it was pretty soaked when you came home that would be my first guess.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Besides overwatering, what else do you think it might be?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I just know that the symptoms of overwatering can be similar to the symptoms of other problems at times, but since you found the vine overly wet (and presumably your plant sitter was watering it that way the whole time you were away), it made sense that overwatering was the likely cause. The other thing I'm familiar with that causes yellowing leaves is chlorosis, but if that's the case hopefully the fertilizer you added would take care of it. I'm sure there are other things too, but I know more about watering issues than I do about a lot of other plant problems.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, thank you very much! This is my first passsion vine (I now have 2) and I'm learnin!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.