Will my canna survive?

Madison, MS

My friend is not a gardener, but she moved into a house where there are some things coming up and she "pulled" me up one of the 3 cannas (about 18" tall) she had in her yard and brought it over to me. I've never grown them, but new they had tubers and didn't want to say anything to her. It still had some roots on it and I've planted it in a pot. Is it going to survive?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Sorry, I have not got an answer for you. I think it needs the tuber part with an eye to survive, but I am not sure. I do know you can grow them easily from seed. So if the flower on the one you have lives and puts out seed you will have some to plant, but I have no idea whether the stalk with just a little root will survive for a long period of time. I will be interested to find out as well! I know my sister gave me a beautiful Iris with just a little root on the stalk and it did not survive...
Janet

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i think it might , regards paul

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

If it had roots attached, with some TLC, it still should survive. It will take much longer to re-develop the tuber part for future propogating and spreading.

Gilbert, AZ

I just received a canna I ordered from Fl and I live in AZ. If it can survive this trip it can survive anything.
Linda

Madison, MS

Well so far it looks a little sad, but it's doing something. It has a leaf that has come up and upfolded - so we'll see!

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

My experience has been that if it has even a hint of a root, it'll survive. You could thrash it within an inch of it's life, and it'll survive. Nuclear holocaust, a new Ice Age, doesn't matter - it's a lot harder to kill a Canna than to keep one alive.

Steve

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.