Staying One Jump Ahead of Trouble

DFW area, TX(Zone 8a)

The Japanese Maple in my front yard (planted July 2003) -- unknown kind, the leaves are variable and I think I may see a graft point? -- seem to me to be exhibiting pretty profound leaf scorch this year. The tree sits 3/4 of the time in filtered sun below a magnolia tree (pretty shady, since the leaves are so thick), but late in the afternoon it does get a 2-3 hour blast of slant sun. We've also had strong winds the past couple of weeks -- 20 kts. +.

So I'm seeing a lot of scorched leaves, baby leaves completely dead, and on the west side of the tree, some high young branches that have lost their leaves altogether.

I do give the tree deep watering soaks twice a week, because I was told that magnolias are waterhogs and may be robbing the JM of some of its water needs.

How will I know if this maple really gets into trouble? Does it sound in trouble now? 7/8ths of its leaves are intact and not droopy, but there's a good deal of scorch on some of them. It's not dropping leaves by the score or anything like that. The bark looks healthy.

I just realize I don't know enough to truly recognize the early signs of trouble. Thanks for any advice you may give.

I'm in Texas, highs have been running upper 90s-100s for the past two weeks, and forecast to do more of the sam.e

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It doesn't sound alarming at all to me. That happens in sudden high heat.

Surprisingly you may be overwatering your tree. I use a water meter and don't water as long as the topsoil is wet. The only thing about the tree being under a magnolia is that it may be somewhat root bound from the root structure of the magnolia.

Or it could just be leaf burn. Either way the tree will probably recover and be just fine next spring.

I'll bet someone else has an opinion. :-)

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

My Coral Bark 'Sango Kaku' has some bad leaf burn this year and has not competition. This is the first time this has happened and it is about 7-8 years old, so not a baby. I am watering about once or twice a week too when Mother Nature doesn't help.

My hostas are also experiencing leaf burn this year where never before. I think it is the severe heat over several weeks that is doing it. I also removed some large shade trees this year and trimmed back others, which contributes to it. Both JMs and Hostas are hardy, so I don't think I will lose anything but maybe a hosta seedling.

Laura

DFW area, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Doss and Laura, for the comments here. I feel encouraged. I *love* that tree (can't say little anymore, as it's well over my head), and I'd really like to do right by it. I'm thinking I need a watermeter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.