mailing cannas for trade?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Can someone tell us newbies what the procedure is for trading cannas?.... From the digging up, to the packing up, to the mailing out.
Thanks,
Deborah

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I have never dug any up.. just started growing but I can tell you how they have arrived to me. I have bought quite a few from different people. They appear to have been dug up probably after letting the ground get very dry or most likely wet it well to make it easier to get the roots loose without breaking them. I really don't know that part. The dirt has been mostly rinsed off and the they were wrapped in moist paper towels. Most then put the root area in a plastic bag or zip bag. I had one that arrived the happiest that had the root area wrapped in press n seal plastic wrap. Most were growing rhyzomes and had any large stalks cut off to about 2 inches... those tend to not grow again. Some arrive with small first leaves intact but those tend to die within a week after shipping but new ones have come from the center. If they are short enough to fit into the box you send, I suggest leaving the leaves on and not cutting the top off if possible.. they seem to do better and begin growing more quickly. This is just my experience the past month or so.

Good Luck

Tammie

Orlando, FL

These bulbs are very hardly and you just have to dig some of them up and even if you only get part of the bulb they will come back up again . I have moved and mailed some before. I just dig them up and dont worry about a thing. I think I just put them in a bag and mailed. No problem. Fran

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Tammie & Fran, for sharing yall's experience. All of your info makes me feel more comfortable. I think I'll keep all the leaves on the plant and hope for the best!

Deborah

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

I always dig, shake off all dirt and mail bare root.. When you get them rehydrate in water for a few hours and plant..I do this with any rhihzome or bulb., and I also cut the stalks back to just several inches.. These things cannot be killed (short of Round-up), in our zone..lol..

Larkie

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Ok, Larkie, Thanks, that sounds easy enough.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.