Bringing New Guinea Impatients inside for Winter???

Vernon, NJ(Zone 6a)

I have two beautiful hanging plants on my deck. They have spread to 1 foot tall by three feet wide and display the most wonderfully colored flowers. As I am new to both this site and gardening (first time homeowner) I was not sure if there was any way possible for me to either A) extend their life cycle, I am not certain when to expect them to begin to fade, or B) Preferably bring them inside in hopes of getting them through the winter?

Any help woudl be greatly appreciated.

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

My Mother overwintered a New Guinea impatient for several winters one time. When the weather began to get cold she brought it in and it continued to look real pretty for a while. As the weather got colder and began to freeze it dropped all its leaves and didn't look very good but remained alive. She only watered it when it was very dry. In spring she put it back out and it leafed out and bloomed well. Good luck with yours. They are a beautiful plant.
Lin

Vernon, NJ(Zone 6a)

Lin thanks so much for your feedback!
-Rob

Wewoka, OK(Zone 7a)

DancyTx
Is your mother in zone 8B also? I hope to try overwintering a couple of the New Guinea impateients but I'm going to try it in the garage - good light & insulation but no heat. I'm not sure that it will work but I did keep a hibiscus over last winter that way although we did not have a very cold winter. Guess I'll see what happens this year

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes my Mother lives right here close to me. I think the main thing is that the plant doesn't freeze. Cold won't hurt it all that much but the freeze will. My Mother had her New Guinea impatien in a building where she keeps all her gardening stuff. There is a window in it and she has a table set up to put plants on for the winter. She has had very good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.