Tropical Storm Chris

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

At 800 am AST...1200z...the center of Tropical Storm Chris was
located near latitude 16.8 north...longitude 59.8 west or about
135 miles...215 km...east of Antigua.

Chris is moving toward the west-northwest near 9 mph...15 km/hr...
and this general heading is expected to continue over the next 24
hours. On the forecast track...Chris is expected to move over or
near the northernmost Leeward Islands later tonight or early
Wednesday morning.

Maximum sustained winds are near 40 mph...65 km/hr...with higher
gusts. Some strengthening is forecast during the next 24 hours. An
Air Force Reserve reconnaissance aircraft is scheduled to
investigate the tropical storm this afternoon to provide a more
accurate estimate of the strength and location of Chris.

Tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 35 miles...55 km
from the center.

The estimated minimum central pressure is 1009 mb...29.80 inches.

Funny...I used to love tracking hurricanes as a kid! Actually I still do but there's a bit more of a dread factor these days LOL

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Mornin' Floridian.....I know what you mean about the dread factor! I'm watching this one with the "bloggers" on Weather Underground....they are scattered all over the Caribbean and have great links to local radars.

I'm sitting quietly and watching this one. It has a thin line to tread between two fronts that could mean intensification or dissipation ....sure hope it stubs it's toe! LOL
Pati

Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

Yes maybe it will just fizzle out. Of course I don't think the Weather Channel would like that very much. They have been looking for a hurricane all year.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2006 10:46 AM

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL Mimidi! I just hope it brings in some rain. There have been storms all around us but little in my area

Pati...where are the WU bloggers? Could you post a link. Sounds very interesting

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=440&tstamp=200608

Floridian, If you go on the wunderground site and scroll down to Dr Master's column on the right, just hit "next page" at the bottom of his column and you come to this.

Like most blog sites they go along smoothly with good info and then suddenly erupts into a snit fight. Well, today's one of those days.....think most of them have been up all night watching developments and need a nap! LOL

One interesting fact though, the St Kitts blogger came on line and everybody is taking this seriously and stocking up. We'll see....................

This morning the satellite pass showed Chris breaking into two pieces. This ususally means a strengthing move.
Pati

Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

Hey I hope it stays together enough to bring us some rain too. I don't believe that we have had 7 inches of rain all year. I don't want any bad winds or damage done. I am 95 miles inland from Panama City Beach, Fl.

Pati I am going to check out that site.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I don't like damaging hurricanes, but I certainly wished it would bring some moisture up this way. It is so dry here that large mature trees are starting to turn brown. Every time it rains it's just enough to wet the grass and then it disappears. It's bad when you have to wish for a tropical storm to get rain.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

The storm is definitely strengthening...against all odds too. The sustained winds were 60mph when the hurricane hunters went in this afternoon

This message was edited Aug 1, 2006 8:15 PM

Good morning....The 8AM has him at 65 MPH. This is what NOAA had to say:

FORECAST PLACES CHRIS VERY NEAR THE SOUTHERN TIP
OF FLORIDA IN 120 HOURS...AND SUBSEQUENT FORECAST TRACKS MAY HAVE
TO SHIFTED A LITTLE FARTHER NORTH IF THOSE MODEL TRENDS CONTINUE

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 75 MILES...120 KM
...MAINLY NORTHEAST OF THE CENTER.

So it's a small storm, but then, so was Andrew. I think tomorrow will tell the whole story, but I guess it's time for me to get the animal's food and water topped off just in case. And so it goes...............
Pati

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

go away. I dated a guy named Chris once. He was mean at times.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sigh.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Scram nasty storm! Scram!! Go Away! Get Lost! Booooo!! Scram!!!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Bay News 9 says:

Tropical Storm Chris is getting better organized and is moving north of the islands of the northeast Caribbean with maximum sustained winds of 65 mph.

The storm is moving west-northwest at 10 mph and could develop into a hurricane by later today.

Tropical storm warnings are posted for the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and the British Virgin Islands. A tropical storm warning means that tropical storm-force winds are expected within the next 12 to 24 hours.

According to Bay News 9 Meteorologist Josh Linker the historical error of day 5 is 600 miles. That means by Monday morning, Chris could be anywhere from Orlando to the south of Cuba.

The more southern the track is, the more likely it is to weaken as it goes over mountainous regions, and vice-versa.

Stacey, I used to love tracking storms as a Florida kid too. Now as an adult (?) I see more of the loss of lives and destruction possible.

How much has this insufferable heat increased the gulf water temps?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Donut!!

Gulf temp, locally, is 88*. Bathwater...but about normal for mid summer.

The heat is horrible. I'm finally starting to weed out some old flower beds...5 minutes at a time then it's back to Iced Tea and the AC.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey ALL!
I'm sorry to say that in this Forum.
It can only mean the problems are starting.

Glad you got that cellar darius. That's one great hunker-down spot.

Here's hoping Chris just spins some rain in.......

Ric

Glad to see you Ric! I knew you'd find us sooner or later (smile)
Pati

Yeah, Ric hangs in there with us 'Cane watchers!

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

CRUD! (And other four-letter words I ain't s'posed to use)

Stupid tracking map puts it heading this way, depending how far they're off..

PHOOOEY!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I'm here too.......I signed up about a month ago with NOAA to get the forecasts (I can recognize the forecasters' names now). My mailbox remained pretty quiet (until a day or two ago). Hoping it bypasses all of you or you just get rain.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I don't need rain, holy heavens.... We're doing good, and more rain will ruin more corn & cotton crops..

Good grief.. Somebody get a biig fan & start blowing...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Not that I don't Dearly love hangin' w/ you alllllll............
but I seem to be a bad omen so I try to stay away as long as possible :-)

I got tons of cell minutes, #'s up in the exchange so I'm here for the duration.

I have some more stuff going down to JanetOS as soon as the heat wave here breaks.
Happily it looks like a lot of her stuff just rearranged itself after the big hit she took last year.
Instead of Volunteers she calls'em Floaters. LOL!

Ric

Nah Ric... never are you a bad omen!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I just pray it sends a few inches here to all of central MO. We seem to be in a pocket about 5 ot 10 miles wide and long where rain just doesn't come very often. 5 miles away they may get 2 - 4 inces of rain and we get sunshine thru the whole thing.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

From the NOAA Public Advisory #15 this morning:

SATELLITE IMAGES AND DATA FROM A RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE
THAT CHRIS HAS WEAKENED TO A TROPICAL DEPRESSION. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO NEAR 35 MPH...55 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS.

HOWEVER...THE POSSIBILITY REMAINS FOR CHRIS TO REGAIN TROPICAL
STORM STATUS.

Tropical Storm advisories are still in place for areas in the path of the storm

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yayyy! I love it when the storms fizzle out. :-)

Glad "C" is fizzling out. I musta slept through A & B... what happened to them?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

If Chris is suffering from Tropical Depression would A Mint Julip and a Zoloft help?

I'm glad I actually FINALLY got on a TS Thread that didn't (fingers crossed) turn ugly!
My Curse (fingers crossed) could be broken!!!!

Ric

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Both Alberto and Beryl also stayed as Tropical Storms. Beryl wandered up the east coast and provided them with some mostly-unwanted rain for a couple of days. Alberto provided a bit of entertainment for the weather guys in Florida and Alabama, but not enough to help BamaBelle out. ;-)

~ Marylyn

Thanks Marylyn.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Now if we can just talk Debby through William into playing so nicely, this will have been a very good hurricane season! :-)

Anytime, Darius!

~ Marylyn

Are y'all reading this thread?
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/635368/

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks! I missed that thread completely. :-)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Latest update:

Quoting:
THIS IS GOING TO BE SHORT AND SWEET. SATELLITE IMAGES AND SURFACE OBSERVATIONS INDICATE THAT CHRIS IS BECOMING A BROAD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE DEVOID OF THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY. THE LOW WILL LIKELY CONTINUE TO MOVE WESTWARD UNTIL DISSIPATING LATER TODAY. GLOBAL MODELS WERE CORRECT INDEED IN FORECASTING DISSIPATION OF THE CYCLONE OVER CUBA. THIS WILL BE THE LAST ADVISORY ON CHRIS UNLESS REGENERATION OCCURS.

Yayyy!

Hi Marylyn, what good news for this Sunday morning! I thank you, my potted plants thank you, and the blue roof breathed a sigh of relief! LOL
Pati

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

SHORT AND SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.