front yard transformation

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I have plans to xeriscape my front yard even if it gets me in trouble with Home Owners Assoc.
I thought I would start getting ideas now and ask that ya'll post pics you have or know about so I can get ideas. I would like to start the project next year or 2. a little lawn is okay be less is more (if you know what I mean). Succulant gardens too.

calvin

Lodi, CA(Zone 9a)

WE xeriscaped our front yard this year. Some plants died during the heat, but when it fills in, it will be so nice. No water waste and tons of hummingbirds and butterflies and gone with that boring, green expanse of grass. When I figure out how to send the picture of my yard, I'll do so.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

looking forward to the pics of your yard. I am still in the planning mode for mine

calvin

Spring Valley, CA(Zone 10a)

I think I've posted these pics of my front yard before, but I forget where I posted them.

Anyway, I live on a steep hillside at the end of a cul-de-sac. I don't water in winter at all and basicallly water about once every two weeks between mid-June to mid-September. This summer we did have some near-record heat in early July and I watered every other day for a week--but that was extremely unusual.

-Ron-

Thumbnail by RWhiz
Oakland, CA(Zone 9b)

Ron,
that is one of the BEST xeric designs I have ever seen. Love it!!! You have a great eye for foliage color and shape!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

great picture!

You really have an eye for design. Thank you for sharig.

calvin

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Very nice blend of spikes. Not overpowering or boring!

San Antonio, TX

Calvin, We live in San Antonio also and want to xeriscape our front yard. We thought we'd just go ahead and keep our fingers crossed re: the home owners association. I like the idea you are planning your own. We've been thinking of consulting a landscaper for this project. Neither of us are into digging anymore. My husband says the Botanical Garden has LOADS of helpful info That is probably our next stop. Any San Antonio tips you get, we'd love it if you would pass them along. I'll do the same.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

hi Ilovetropicals,

I haven't started yet. Things have become very busy for me now that I have returned to school. Work 2 kids and all included in the task check list(daily). I do know that SA Botanical gardens has great ex. of landscapes and ideas galore. When I get the time I too will be over there soaking up as much info and ideas as I can.

Risking the HOA disapproval doesn't worry me much anymore. If it doesn't devalue the home (to include the neighborhood) and it saves water bill expenses and time with maintenace..........then.............well I don't see how they would argue withit. It just might spark others to do the same.

calvin

ps-------- keep me posted on ideas

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

amen. i have just killed off the last of my grass, have 10 yards of crushed 3/4 pea gravel coming in a few weeks and i am feeling hopeful. i also got rolls of wire cloth for gopher proofing

Lodi, CA(Zone 9a)

Finally, here are a few pictures. The plants have a lot of growing in to do, but they're getting there. A great plant for you to consider is Teucrium Fruticans 'Azureum'. It is the gray leafed shrub in the foreground. It is still blooming with incredibly blue flowers now in December.

Thumbnail by mary0114
Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

It`s great, I`ll have to see the specs on it for my zone 8b, sunset 11.

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

I think we need updates on how these projects are doing!

I just tilled under my grass and my DH is putting in beds. I have to prepare it for a thyme lawn that I will plant in September but the grass is gone and I don't feel bad as every other yard is starting to yellow up due to the hot temps here!

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Yes I didn`t feel bad when I killed my grass until I decided to scrap that side for now and move to an easier side to garden in a climate controled environment , so now that side has dirt and it is on the west side of my house so when the wind blows, it blows in my windows. uhg. I have nothing to show on that side for now, but will start adding manure , compost , straw and leave the leaves over there and cardboard too, water it in and try to make good soil before i waste anymore time there.

Yours looks good in Lodi, Mary.

this is a part of my xeriscape in the front, it`s a view facing our neighbor who thought he needed 100 junk vehicals on the vacant land across so I hope to get more fourwinged salt bushes like these ones and make a hedge to block out the view but meanwhile they towed off some the day I took this. lol

Thumbnail by hellnzn11

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.