New hybrids for next season

Louisville, KY

Here are some new hybrids I have been breeding.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Taller grower odd foliage small orange flowers. Probably going to get around 8 feet tall the leaves are interesting so far though.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Pink streaked flowers new hybrid

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Canna Ada

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

One of the heaviest blooms I have seen redish orange large flowers always in bloom.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Canna William Shatner

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Canna Romance dwarf with large pink to orange flowers changing colors with age leaves are dark purple in color.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Another pic of Canna Romance

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Field of new hybrids I pick through.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

That first one is absolutely YUMMY! It really looks good enough to eat. LOL I would love to have something like that. Have you thought of a name yet? It looks like you need sunglasses to look at it.

Tammie

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

They're all wonderful but, yeah, that first one is drop dead gorgeous. I agree with the second about the foliage, very nice, it seems to have a copper hue.

West Bend, WI(Zone 5b)

im going to agree with the above two post. once agian, awesome brian.

Louisville, KY

Well hopefully my odd ideas on breeding will pay off. I have tried to keep away from the norm and go with more odd looking forms. I do however seem to get a bit of everything with cannas.

Many of the new hybrids seem worth while though a lot can look similar to what is already on the market. I have tried to keep my eyes off other breeders work and do my own thing. Though I have seen some of my hybrids look similar to others manly green leaf orange and pink flowering cannas. The only good thing is I am trying to pick the best out of hundreds of similar plants so hopefully some will be superior if not in just looks but also in flowering and strength. With many of the more common looks they have to grab my attention much like the one redish orange one above has. It looks similar to probably hundereds of other cannas but it is such a heavy bloomer it was one of the more superior forms in the field this year.

Below is a new hybrid just blooming dark purple leaves orangish red flowers.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2006 10:40 AM

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous cannas! Wow at that first one..................and then the color contrast of the last, WOW! Thanks for sharing with us!
Belinda

Lenoir, NC

Have to agree with the others--they are gorgeous and the first is my favorite--I love plants with wondeful foliage and it appears to be a real beauty even if it didn't bloom at all!

Have you got a name for it yet?

Louisville, KY

Well I am working on a few series and it will be in one of the new series for dark leaf cannas
The series I am working on are Shadow series Fantasy series and Exotic series.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Oh My,I simply Adore the 3rd one with Pink streaked flowers.Thats a beauty!!.You do a marvelous job! All are wonderful .Incredible in fact.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2006 1:36 PM

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

BrianI have a pink streaked cannas as well, when it comes into flower I will post, It looks to be a smaller plant than yours.

Louisville, KY

dwarf with pink spotted flowers

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Here is a new one in the series Congo Shadow. This is a heavy bloomer with bluish green leaves that turn purple with age or in full sun. The flowers are a bright neon red color. Grows to around 5 to 6 feet tall heavy bloomer.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Brian, you never cease to amaze me with your talent. My favorite is the top one but only if I ignore the others and pretend they don't exist. lol. You can come and plant at my house any time. My garden will probably jump up and cheer if you do. Keep up the good work!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Brian, all are gorgeous but the first picture of the pink and burgandy leaves is just knock-em dead beautiful! The pink blooms looks as if it casts a pink glow onto the leaves.
How long before it's on the market? Newbie question; have no idea about new hybrids.
Deborah

Brian, do you have a name for the first one canna yet? If not I recommend Show Off. Looks like it wants to outshine everything that gets near it. lol.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Belinda
did you get my email? paul QQ

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey Paul..........got your mail and THANKS so much! Looking forward to getting the reds to growing! :-)
Have a great Friday!
Belinda :)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Luv the purple in the first picture! Gorgeous!!! They are all awesome but my fav is the first.
:) Donna

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I too have that first one on my favorites list, position #1.

Just a gorgeous combination of foliage-flower colors!

What name do I order it under and when will it be for sale?

Robert.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Brian, I love the one in the "Congo Shadow" series you posted on Aug 1. When will we be able to buy this? Gorgous contrast...and I love the orangy red bloom!!

Louisville, KY

Next season I will have most shown in limited supply.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Gracious! I'll take 1 or 2 of each! Brian, those are fantastic. Course, I tend to like the unique, but anybody would love them. Is there a Limited Supply List, list?

Louisville, KY

I always have tons of unamed hybrids here but some of the others are waiting for names before being released. I usually run out very fast each season with these new forms and stock is usually very low sense they are so new.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

I especially like the first one, Brian.

Brian, I have a feeling that when you release the first one it will sell out in a hour if all of our comments are to be believed. And I will be the first in line!!!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I'll be right behind you, Pepper - he could probably sell out right here in DG!

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is hoping you will offer #1 for sale here on DG before you offer it to the general public. Unless you have more than you expect, I'll bet you sell out. Count me for one, please. I'll be watching the classified ad forum very closely this Spring. Dotti

8/10 edited to correct name of forum from advertising forum to classified ad forum. Dotti

This message was edited Aug 10, 2006 4:42 PM

Louisville, KY

I will put a lot up on the advertising forum as new cannas are availible to DG only so you guys can get them first sounds like a great idea and I had thought about it with somethings already. I may put up a post soon for over grown left over stock from this year that I would like to move out. THANKS

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Great!

YIPEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Well! What a wonderous gardening website Dave has here. I didn't know we had something like that. What a great day! Got a new aroid forum today and we have an advertising forum!

Gilbert, AZ

Your pictures are beautiful. I love the foliage on the first one. When will they be for sale?
Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.