wild violets

La Conner, WA

This violet is very pretty with pink flowers & heart shaped leaves but boy do I wish I had never brought it home. It has spread every where & it gets into yhe lawn & is hard to kill.Trimec works but it must be sprayed numerous times. It seeds like crazy. Avoid it.

Did you by any chance save the tag with the Latin name of your little nasty? Maybe a photo would help us if you are in a position to share one.

Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

It is probably a cousin of mine that has pretty blue flowers and heart shaped leaves that grows by both seed and rizone (sp?). I will be digging for years.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

I don't have a problem with them. Mine are wild (purple or white) and naturalizing. But that is my preference ~ natural. After they bloom I just mow or weed-eat them & they come back to put on a show the next year!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I love our wild violets. Yes, they spread, but I love many hardy maintanance free flowers. Why work like a fool to raise something finicky when I can have lots of hardy stuff that takes care of itself?

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Amen! leaflady! Wild & native gives you color all spring, summer, & fall.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

jackstangle, do you have any of the seeds, by any chance? Perverse, I know, but I'd love to have some.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.