Toad Stools to useful soil?

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 6b)

Hey dirt diggers: I am able to harvest a pretty decent "crop" of mushrooms off the lawn every week or so. Lots of great colors and shapes. I have been plopping them right on the compost pile and burying them in. Could it be not smart to introduce these spores? I am just thinking that it won't be a problem. I just have that compost intuition that its not. What say ye? Oh yah, check out this batch I dug last week, and this is a BIG bucket from a shrub:

Thumbnail by Wormboy
Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Oh, dear. I read that as, you know, toad *dung.* Thanks for the laugh.

I'd probably use it too. And toad dung, for that matter.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

My agricultural extension agent told me that for toadstools to flourish, a very narrow set of conditions has to be just right, so I would think they'd be fine for compost.

Zeppy, you crack me up. I'd always thought of them as stools toads sit on, not... eewww... ;p

Although... you're right -- toad stools should make a REALLY good addition to a pile...

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Toad stools must be a Midwest thing cause I have always called them that. The spores that you are worried about are literally everywhere there is soil. Use the shrooms to compost.

Denver, CO

I woudl be checking if they were edilbe first...
Then compost them. Ideal organic matter.

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 6b)

James-
At this point I draw the line at deciding what is actually a vegetable plant in the garden, and what is a weed. Mushrooms are most definetly out of my league. How this James, just swing by after work once a week and you can have your pick of all the shrooms on my lawn?
It is really amazing though, I guess I didn't post the most detailed pic, but there are every shape, size, and color in that bucket. Some are so vivid, and tast kinda funny......woaaw......does anyone else see the walls breathing?.............

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

LOL

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ahh we have a Don Juan with his muscarinics. Have you ever read that book wormboy?

Denver, CO

Sure, let me just hop on a plane with my skillet.

As I understand, Florida is the one state that allows the "recreational" use of toxic mushrooms. I'll stick with the variety for pizzas, thank you.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

There's a case going on right now. Possession of spores not illegal in Fla., but prosecutors have arrested people for distribution of spores. Kind of a grey, swirly, misty area of the law there. They are plentiful in Florida, kind of hard to bust somebody for having them on their land. There's a LOT of cattle there.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Lots of cow patties and magic mushrooms here, too. Ranchers don't get busted for what they can't do anything about. It's the teenagers who do the harvesting that have to be careful.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Magic mushrooms grew in a sod farm in the Kirkland, Wa area. and when ever the sod was delivered the spores would sprout when the rain came. And we had some of the sod in our new yard. Each fruiting a group of hippies (or look alikes) would gather these little ones early in the morning.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm sure they were just planning on doing some natural landscaping.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.