Dwarf Pomegranate - Punica granatum 'Nana'

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Hey PNW floraphiles,

Has anyone successfully wintered this plant in our wet zone 8 winter? I'd like to put it in a pot & leave it outside (will anyway) What might I expect to see next year? Dead sticks? Beautiful evergreen foliage? A lump of coal in my Christmas stocking for being so mean to such a sweet plant?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

It should do fine...unless we have one of those rare super freezes. Nana is hardier than the species and I have P. g. 'Wonderful' planted on a roadside a block away. It looks like a bunch of twigs in winter. Be patient for it to leaf out in, sometimes, late spring.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks, growin! I love to push the hardiness envelope but it's good to hear about other gardeners' experiences.

Tillamook, OR(Zone 8b)

Check out Paghat's page on dwarf pomegranate; it sounds like you should be fine with yours.
http://www.paghat.com/pomegranate.html

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks karlabb! Interesting info & fun site.

Did you get it at Jungle Fever? I just took cuttings from one a friend bought there. I have no idea if they are going to root. But the plant was so cool!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Pixydish, you should have some success. I got about 50% on cuttings. If they loose their leaves, give it a bit of time as they sometimes leaf out again on the cuttings.

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Pixydish,

I got one at Jungle Fever (a double very dwarf variety) and found the other at McClendon Hardware in Sumner. I was following directions to a small nursery in Sumner specializing in palms & hardy tropicals, there was some road work and I thought that I had missed a turn or something, noticed the hardware & decided to go back and (gasp) ask for directions. We walked into the garden center entrance (is there any other) and were blown away by the selection and price of their plants. It's not a rare plant nursery by any stretch but for a hardware garden center, they sure had some amazing stuff that was well taken care of. AND a knowledgeable person working in the garden center. They also had some fun yard art and a little koi pond. I'll definitely stop there again when I do the Sumner - area plant lust trip.

Darn it, Growin! I threw out about half of the cuttings because they looked dead to me. Fortunately, that means I have half of them left. One is putting out new growth, so that's good news.

Yes, Herpst, you've discovered my secret plant shopping destination. McClendon's. I don't know who their buyer is, but I've bought lots of very cool stuff at the one in Sumner, and the one in Puyallup on Canyon road. This time of year they put many things on sale. I got two different cultivars of epimediums, gallon size pots well filled out, for 4$ apiece a couple of weeks ago. They also had some great dwarf bananas, heucheras and some dahlias that I just had to have. Incredible merlot color that cried out "plant me with your large leafed plants close to the banana with red spots ". I bought two.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Pixy, I found the root system to be delicate on cuttings so I used a teaspoon to carefully pick them out. Now would be a good time to add fertilizer to build up their roots before transplant.

Hey, I have roots! This cutting is in rooting gel medium so I'm going to leave it for awhile. There are only two tiny roots and plenty of medium, so when the roots get larger I'll do as you suggest. I have other cuttings in my veggie filter attached to the pond. Almost anything roots in that thing, so they should do well. I'll be gentle.

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi Growin,

Does the Wonderful produce fruit?

Boel

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I've heard it does in Oregon. I thought it was "discovered" in Oregon. I might be wrong. I had one bloom but I hacked it back for cuttings so didn't get fruit. I'm pretty sure it had a double bloom. I think there's 2 commonly found cultivars - Wonderful and ? in the PNW. Can't remember the other one. And then there's the 'nana' which seems to be hardier.

Royston, Canada

I have two outside here on Vancouver Island and they do fine. the flowers are double and very nice, as they bloom very late don't think you would get fruit. Does anyone have a Pseudopanax ferox in their garden, I have a 7 ft one that I wrap and am curious if I don't protect it,will it get through the winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.