Journal July 30 2006

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

When I did a walk through of the garden this morning before work I found a tiny baby box turtle. The little guy was bigger than a quarter but smaller than a half dollar. I picked a cherry tomato and halved it for him. He was still sitting there considering it when I had to leave. I hope he/she stays around. :)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

How sweet of you, TT. I haven't seen a box turtle around here for a long time. Too hot and dry I think. I'm sure it ate the tomato because they love them.

I went to get an 18 month old female Jack Russell Terrier this afternoon. She is already spayed. We can return her if she doesn't work out for us and they will return our money. I think I would have liked to hear a bit more barking from her but time will tell. I'm in contact with a couple other people about dogs so if she doesn't I'll try for them. She seems to be a really sweet little dog. Right size, etc.

It was 107* in Sedalia today. 103* here in the heat of the day. It's down to 100.8 now. Too hot for comfort. Boy are some of us spoiled. Others never could take the heat.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I hope the Jack Russell works out for you. They are a great lttle dog. 50 lbs of dynamite in a 5 lb package, and far too smart for their own good! I have decided that I am going to stop checking the temperature, when it is as hot as it is now I would rather not know... LOL

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I hope she works out for you too. Maybe you could bring her in to PG if she does and show her off. Everyone would go gaga over her!!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

So far, we have gotten past each hurtle? so it is looking more promising all the time. She is a sweet little dog.

We have a heavy dew this morning so that is good. At least there is some moisture in the air. A good rain would be so welcome.

We have decided to change renters of our crop land in the fall. I need to write a letter to make it formal and legal to the current tenent. He has farmed our land for close to 15 years. Good farmer in many ways. But he isn't paying as much as the next renter will and doesn't do any maintaining of the terraces and waterways or clearing of brush, etc. The new renter will do bulldozing plus pay more per acre so it is the only sensible thing to do. Those waterways and terraces as well as the brush growing up all over the place have bothered Jack and I for a long time. Now we feel there is an answer on the way and it feels really good. He lives as close as the old renter does and it will be giving a younger man a greater start to farming. He has checked with his banker and can get the increased credit line to take care of buying more machinery, etc. We are looking forward to this change eagerly. It seems people all over the community have felt for years that we were not being treated fairly and the land was going to pot for lack of management in many ways. And when one piece of land goes downhill the value of all the land around goes down. At least that is how it works in town so I suppose it does in the country. It certainly makes our land worth less if the kids should decide to sell it when they inherit it after Jack's death.

I need to go work up some tomatoes Holly gave me. GOD bless and keep each of you.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Glad the dog is working for you. Maybe you should give her a name.....or not. lol.

We got a decent rain 2 nights ago. It helped out a little but is still not enough. Plants did perk up here and at PG though. And the heat is not as bad as it was so that's helping too. We are getting ready for the Butterfly Festival next week and are hoping for en excellent turnout. Tonight and this weekend there are several weddings going on at the Chapel so i spent most of the day cleaning windows and changing lightbulbs there also. Bridal Dressing room also got cleaned up some more. Our favorite saying is "We don't want the brides crying."

Glad to hear that your land will be better utilitized now. I always hate it when the land is not living up to its potential whether it is farmland or prairie.

You have tomatoes?? That is so unfair!!! lol. I gave up on getting tomatoes here and am now trying not to let the peppers give up on me.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Amanda

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

No, I don't have tomatoes, my DIL Holly less than a block away from us down in the pasture has tomatoes by the buckets full!! Yes it does seem so unfair.

I'm glad you got rain. Nothing here for weeks. The fair starts the 10th so maybe that will bring it on.

The little dog came to us named Penny. Probably not what I would have chosen but she answers to it so I'll let it stick. Now if she will just start barking when people come. When I got home last night the old dog Hogan started barking, but he only barks at us so that isn't any help. Right now he is barking because he wants inside the house. I make everyone stay outside at night and sometimes during the day if it isn't too hot in the nicer weather. Excessive heat, cold, rain, etc. gets everyone brought inside.

I need to let the poultry out and get started on the day. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.