sunflowers

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I had an old pack of red sunflower seeds so I put them in this year. I had one come up. The cut worms were cutting off all the blooms so I put seven on hoping to get at least one bloom for seed. I have four blooms as of now and one is open. I t is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. My ? is. When is the time to bag this bloom for seed for next year. Do I wait to see the finchs eating from it or what? The bloom is dark maroon petals with dark center with little yellow stamins.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Dragonfly, sorry your post went unanswered. Sadly, I'm not sure when your seed is ready for plucking. I would say at least when the finches are... I'd bring it to a protected place and let it dry out completely, then store in frig for next spring! I'd LOVE to see a picture, if you have one. Sounds gorgeous. -Bonnie

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the chat Bonnie but I have an old computer and cannot send pics. Maybe someday. I just went to look and have nine blooms so will have some seed. Hope to chat with you again. Bev

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Bev- I saw your question before but I figured someone else would have a better answer than me. hahaha I've grown sunflowers before and wanted to collect the seeds, too. The heads started drooping really low. We looked at them closely and they were already dropping seeds into the ground for the next year. So I guess you just keep an eye on them as they start drooping and harvest as the first seeds start dropping. There's tons! lol Sorry I don't have a better answer! ; )

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the help. I will look for them to droop. If I get seed I will let you know. Bev

All my sunflowers went Kapoot! I needed to stake them and just didn't get to it. They all fell over. I'll try again next year and now I know what to do. LOL.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

They say you tie a brown paper bag arround the ones you want when they are ready and the finches cannot get them. Bev

Chariton, IA(Zone 5a)

After the seeds started forming...my grandmother always put a stocking over the bloom....that way the seeds formed but the birds didn't get them...

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I have seeds girls and boys. Thanks to all.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Success! Congrats, now you'll have lots more next year!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.