Question about new beds

Littleton, CO(Zone 5a)

We just poured a new front porch and the bed between the porch and walk is full of rocks and construction debris. And add to that the fact that the soil is clay and I don't think the soil has ever been amended. My question is how deep should I dig out or even should I dig out? I have tried to get most of the rocks out, but then a neighbor suggested that the rocks might be good for the clay soil. Of course he has no garden just a pretty crappy lawn. So.....any suggestions from the folks who know soil?
Thanks! :)
KD

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I posted about removing rocks from clay a few days ago, and was told by the sages here (thanks, soferdig) that at least some rocks will give the soil necessary structure. I think my case is a little extreme, though. New concrete is alkaline, and I've seen new brick work washed with muriatic acid, so I'd just be aware of that, maybe remove any big blobs of concrete. It might be worth getting a soil test. Pure clay is no fun, but it's a good starting point. I'm sure some more knowledgeable folks will have more to say about this

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Agreeing with claypa. If you want to plant acid-loving plants, I'd get rid of as much of the concrete as you can. Then again, it would be great if you want an alkaline soil. Trial and error -- see what works. Leaving some iron in there wouldn't hurt -- I'd just get rid of as much as you have to to work the ground.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Concrete is the enemy of any plant. Get it all out of there or the chemicals will keep soil unpleasant. Dig the hole as deep as you have energy and screen out the big rocks and concrete. Then add 5parts at least of compost to 1 part of clay and make sure the area underneath the hole drains. Just fill it with water and see how long it take to drain. You don't want a fish bowl bed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.