Looking for tall Cannas

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm looking for some of the tall Cannas. They can be the old-fashioned type or newer varieties, but I need the height. I am mainly seeing the dwarf hybrids at the stores. Any info on sources or if anyone has some for sale or postage, please let me know. Thanks. STU

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

banana cannas get huge (Canna Musafolia Grande) - 12-15' tall huge!

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Cool, thanks. I'll plant search them.

Dublin, TX(Zone 8a)

Stu, I have several tall cannas that I could send you to try if you would like..............they are all around 6-7 feet right now (still growing) and have clusters of peach blooms. I think they are beautiful. If you would like to try a few, d-mail me! Here is a pic from last week -
Belinda :-)

Thumbnail by TexasGardenMom
Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

This King Red Hubert gets 8 to 10 feet here with minimal care. I also have Red Dazzler, about the same size..I"ll check around and see if I have a photo of it........not intrested in digging them for postage but am open to trades....

Thumbnail by jackieshar

here is a picture of Red Dazzler's bloom........the foilage is a clear green and gets to 10 ft tall..........
I am looking to trade for named evergreen or semi daylily... or tempt me....I dont do tropicals or shade plants.........

sry ...here we go Red Dazzler at 10 ft this year in the heat and drought

bottom 2 picks in the collage .top 2 pics are King Red Hubert

Thumbnail by jackieshar
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous!

Louisville, KY

The most common forms are
Omega 15 to 20 feet tall
Musafolia or grande around 15 feet
and red russian sometimes goes by other names. 9 to 12
intrgue 7 to 9

I had the following new hybrids released last year
Spiderman 9 to 12 feet tall
Pink Flamingo 7 to 10

I have a few others I am working with that are not yet named Here is a pic of spiderman bluish leaves with maroon rim round them bright red flowers purple looking stems.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

Closer pic of canna spiderman leaves and flowers. It flowers when small but keeps on growing which is odd for most tall growing cannas which usually wait till they are 6 feet or more before producing any flowers at all.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Louisville, KY

I have been interested in breeding taller more colorful cannas and some new hybrids show a lot of promise. This one also released last season is pink Flamingo.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

your Pink Flamingo is gorgeous Brian...what it's parentage?

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

BWilliams.....Great plants. Thanks for the help with varieties. Can you point me to a wesite that may have the varieites that you described. I am interested in aquiring some more (I was fortunate to obtain a couple so far) and would like a trustworthy source. I have also looked on Ebay and found one maroon and green variety that gets tall as well and was very affordable. It was very reasonable for 10 rhizomes A fellow Floridian that I met through the Florida forum had available for trade some of the red margined variety that I remember from childhood. I'm off to a good start, but have a total of five WHite Bird-of-paridise that I am removing and giving to friends a bit more south. They haven't done well here with the cold winters these past two years even with tenting. The Cannas are to give me a height and leaf texture that is similar. They may die down in winter, if we get frost again, but will renew without a problem. I have others that are shorter that soften a 90 degree angle in my daylily beds that do very well. The birds bounce back wonderfully, but I can't get them past a certain height due to the setbacks. Stu

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Jackie are those water Iris i see by your pond? paul

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

bwilliams.................thanks for the info. I found your website through your info page.

yes sir they are.......didn't I mail you pictures? for a thread where you mentioned you were looking for some? Here are some blue I bought from Lilypons.com....I have lots for trades. I also have the yellow also from Lilypons

Thumbnail by jackieshar
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

what do you want in trade ? paul

I cant do tropicals or shade plants. I like hardy hibiscus, named daylily , bearded, siberian , or louisiana iris. Looking for fruit scented salvias and new england asters....climate here is hot and dry with unpredictable winters.....What do you have in abundance for trades that would maybe fit in?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.