What's the matter with my cowpeas and green beans?????????

Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

I had originally posted this on the Tomato Forum and CMoxon was kind enough to indicate that he had placed a similar query here on the Vegetable Forum. So, here I go casting into a different "pond"............LOL

I have three rows of black-eyed peas and a row of Contender and Kentucky Wonder green beans. The green beans have done, what I would call just "okay", but the cowpeas are another "kettle of fish".

The cowpeas have grown wonderfully inspite of all the heat an humidity with the occational outbreak of some aphid/thrip problems. However, for the months in my garden and all the apparent blooms I don't seem to be getting many peas.

Could someone help me please.........

Thanks for putting up with this ectopic post......LOL

Tomatomaniac

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

They take longer than snap beans. If you are getting blooms you should be getting peas although once in a while they will drop the blossoms if conditions don't suit them. Not much you can do about at this stage, but in the future make sure that plenty of Phosphate is is available to them. They don't need nitrates, but they do need phosphate to develop seed pods. One good thing, Blackeyes if they don't set a heavy first crop will continue bearing and give you a smaller crop of peas over an extended period of time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.