Can I pinch acorn squash back?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

The plant is huge and sprawling. But there are no fruit set and it's almost August. (I'm in zone 5 so not a long season here). Can I cut the leading end of the vines and will it redirect the energy into squash making?

TIA for your help, all.

Jacki

Winchester, VA(Zone 6a)

I don't know. I cut back my pumpkin yesterday. It isn't happy today.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Hmmm...I pinched off some of the vines that were creeping into the wrong space. So I guess we'll both see what happens!

Good Luck to both of us :)

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Any news?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Even though I pinched back several vines, it shows no sign of noticing ~LOL~ But it is starting to set fruit...finally. This squash is going to take over half the backyard before it's finished!!

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Good for you. I have lots of blossoms, but only 1 fruit so far. Hopefully it will get with the program soon!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Usually once you get one fruit you will get others soon, but only those the vine can support will last to maturity.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I think I heard that somewhere before. Plants are alot smarter than people sometimes. (Like the ones that can't support them, but keep having babies!!!)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

pajaritomt~ That's the kind of advice one can only get here!! So no more pinching for me :) I'll just try and redirect the vine away from the rest of the garden.

Squash for me!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.