Chinese Parasol Tree

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Anybody noticed these being invasive? I've been seeing them on the roadsides lately. Big ones with seedlings all around them. It took me awhile to figure out what they were.

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

There were a couple in the D.E. Davis Aroboretum on the AU campus - and I frequently saw seedlings popping up here & there around the arboretum grounds, but can't say I've noticed 'em running rampant, like mimosa, but it may be that they just hadn't had enough time to reach critical mass. Wouldn't surprise me if they were invasive, and they're sure not indigenous.

Satsuma, AL(Zone 8b)

My great aunt & uncle just bought a houst in Chickasaw, Alabama. There is a huge one of these growing in the backyard. Closer inspection yields plenty more in the flower beds; they are nudging the azaleas and ginger out of the way!! I mean LOTS and LOTS of little sprouts. Seem to be fairly fast growing, too. The main tree would be nice on its own (tons of shade under those big leaves) but it's apparently bit too invasive for my tastes.

David

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Well I started seeing them along a stretch of highway that I frequently travel, then one day I saw a large sized one in someones backyard. My guess is that all of those seedlings came from the one in that yard.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.