Should I FREAK out???

Madison, MS

I transplanted/ saved this Butterfly Weed about a month ago and it seems to be surviving. I know that they are prone to aphids and I guess that's what this is - but there sure are ALOT of them! Should I be worried about them getting on my other plants? Should I spray them? YUCK!! HELP!! Thanks!

Thumbnail by mjfulgham
Marysville, WA

MJFULGHAM,
I would spray, then if they are still there, THEN freak out. BTW, Are you old enough to be using THAT term, re: "freak-out", lol'

Madison, MS

I think I'm of age - 38 - am I "Safe"??? LOL - Thanks - I'm on my way to give them a squirt or two!!!!

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Wow...what a picture! That is certainly up close and personal. What kind of camera are you using?

Marysville, WA

BRINDA,
Hows THIS for UP CLOSE, lol.

Thumbnail by skidivur
Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

ACK!!! Those are aphids? Sheesh.....and I thought I had them bad! Now...what camera is that? I want close ups that good too! LOL

Madison, MS

It's an Olympus SP-500UZ

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Yeah, I'd freak out. And I'm definitely old enough to use that term.

Marysville, WA

BRINDA;
Its a Canon PowerShot A 430

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

I'd use something low impact, and try to stay away from the flowers. Maybe a pyrethrum? Insecticidal soap would likely also work and be lower impact.

Of course you could always wait for the lady beetles and the parasites to come along. At my house they usually do, just when I think I have to spray and the population is getting out of control - they show up. The aphid mummies are cool to look at too.

Here's an aphid mummy, all crispy critter and ready to pop out a parasite.

Thumbnail by Night_Bloom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.