Help Seeds and how to do seeds

Decatur, IL(Zone 5b)

I have lots of seeds on my cannas. How to harvest and to sow.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Make sure that the seed pods are dark brown then cut off the pods open theam up they should be shiney black . toss out any that are cracked or bad looking . keep the rest in a baggie or envolpe paul

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Heres how i do my seeds to grow i hold the seed in a pair of needle nose pliers this is great for the small type of canna seeds i then run the seed back and forth across a file i can do ten small seeds in less then 5 mins . the biger canna seeds you can hold by hand . i soak my seeds for 72 hours i change the water 2 times a day use like warm water. i fill small foam coffee cups with vermiculite and plant a seed in each one. i have a better germnation rate useing the verm. i start my brugmansias in verm also . i got this about the Verm. from Alice Harris . my germnation rate is about 95 pecent sents i started doing it this way. when you do the canna seeds stop when you see some white on the seed from useing the file hope this may help . regards paul

Decatur, IL(Zone 5b)

i will try when they are ready i have had several seeds over the years and just not done anything. thought i would try this year. Ofcourse they are not ready yet they just formed.

thank you

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

wait till spring to sprout your seeds though. I start mine in Feb in flats, like Paul said only I use seed starting soil and bottom heat too.almost 100% germinatin.The seeds can be stored up to 20 years if kept dry.Many I planted last year were from !993 and they all came up after filing and soaking.

Decatur, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you eclipse

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.