I am starting over

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Over the years I have read books from the complicated to the "americanized simplied" versions on bonsai culture. During these years I have played with plants and enjoyed several experiences with my trees very much, even though I was never really sure exactly how to handle them and ended up losing them, except for 1 ginkgo biloba that I have had in a pot since 1985. It was an interesting little tree less than 18" tall with a fair trunk until 4 years ago when the top died. Interestingly next spring a sprout came from the root and is now about 3 ft tall but with no trunk to speak of. How can I make the trunk thicken? Would shortening it this winter make any difference in trunk growth next year.

I have begun working with several more trees this year and would like to become an active grower again now that I have more time.

Here is one of my trees I lost after 1997. Just a common juniper that I grew "into" a piece of driftwood. One of my past favorites--at the time the picture was made it was needing a trim.

Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Cordele, GA

I think that to thicken the trunk you might need to pot it in a nursery pot and let it grow on. The trunk thickens in response to the amount of canopy, in other words the more foliage there is to feed the tree, the more girth the trunk will acquire. I would give it more root room and a chance to develop more foliage.

Beth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.