Fuzzy worm, what is it?

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Now that I'm creating butterfly gardens, I am really afraid of killing creepy crawlies, like these.....anyone know or can tell me if they are good or bad?

Thumbnail by Ladyborg
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Looks like a yellow bear to me. Virginian tiger moth as an adult.....

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Is that good or bad???????

Haven't ever seen it be a problem. How many do you have? Makes a pretty moth....

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

I was going to ask the same thing. I seem to have quite a few this year. I stood and watched one for quite awhile. All it seemed to do was crawl all over the stems and leaves (hopefully looking for other bugs). I never saw it stop and do anything to a leaf or plant. But that was just one experience. So I am leaving them alone, till I find out otherwise. Karen (liebran)

Well, it eats leaves, but if there aren't many of them, it's no big deal.
Let's see, this says it feeds on plants such as birch, maple, cabbage, corn and many other trees and garden crops. So that spreads any damage out a lot, and if there aren't great numbers of them, I wouldn't do anything. If there are more than you are comfortable with, and you are seeing a lot of damage, the old two brick treatment works great.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I saw several too. Found them on my bag of clippings after clipping a butterfly bush (Buddleia Davidii), thought that's where they came from. Then saw one on my patio and placed it on a basil leaf. It seemed happy to be there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.