Hummingbird Feeders and Ants

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'd like to hear from people who have figured out a simple way to keep ants out of their hummingbird feeders. I've tried bug spray, vaseline, water and other stuff that just didn't work.

Thanks!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

My feeder is on one of those shepherd hooks, so I rub a stripe of vaseline 3/4 of the way up the pole. The vaseline is not near the feeder, but the ants can't get past.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I can't remember the garden catalog I saw it in, but it was awfully cute. It was a little bowl in the shape of an upside down umbrella. You hooked it between the upper hook and the hummingbird feeder and filled it with water. The ants would not be able to negotiate the water, and they'd drown before ever getting to the feeder.

They had a plain one, too. Fairly cheap, under $10.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I bought one of those bowls .. about 100 ants would commit suicide to create a bridge of ant bodies across the water .. same thing with the vaseline. These guys are determined!

X

Milford, PA

I've had some luck with hanging the feeder from a length of fishing line. It seems as though the ants can't get a good hold on the line. About 6 inches to a foot of line works pretty well.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Now that's one I havent tried! thanks Marzar.

X

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Marzar.

I have had good results with a can filled not quite full with water hanging above the feeder.

Valencia, PA(Zone 5b)

I use the hummzinger feeder which has a small, built in ant moat. It works here for us. Karen Liebran

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I take the smallest Glad disposable food containers and poke a tiny hole in the container part, then string my wire through it. On the inside of the "bell", I smear a bit of petroleum jelly. That's worked very well for me. I've also turned the containers upright and used silicone caulk to seal the hole around the wire, then filled the container with water. That is not as foolproof since the caulk is not leakproof if the wire gets pulled, and the water can also evaporate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.