Bagged topsoil or loam?

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

Hi,

I am looking to buy some bagged sterile topsoil or loam to mix with the soil less mix for my containers. The soil here in TX is clay so practically useless in containers. Does anybody know a source for bagged topsoil or loam that I can use, I need this to be sterile as possible to prevent soil borne diseases?

thanks,
xman

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Hmmm. I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but why use a component that will assuredly cause compaction, and affect aeration negatively?

Al

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Hey. I use straight up compost in my containers. Probably not recommended, but the plants aren't yelling...

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Usless clay? Probably the best source of mineral needed by the plant. When compost placed in the clay we create utopia for the plant fortunate enough to be blessed with their status in life. As far as a container just use the tea from a compost pile and even the most sterile soil/mix will be a heaven for the plant.

Denver, CO

Clay is not good in a pot. Horrible, in fact. I persoanlly go for only soiless mixes for pot culture. No bagged topsoil. I made that mistake many years ago- extremely bad.

Make your own Peat+ compost+ perlite mix. Maybe vermiculite or one of these fancy new lighteners, too. Or, If these are not especially finicky plants, use Miracle Grow/Scots with added perlite. You can sterilize your own, too. Microwave or oven rack.

Denver, CO

Expertise from Al some time back:
This is very in-depth, but if you want the facts, grab a cup of tea. No, the whole dang pot.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/527353/

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Kenton I aggree that in the pot the mix is the best. Just encourage it with compost tea. As far as the soil in your garden clay is my friend. Sorry about the confusion. Well not really.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.