holes in green bean leaves

Amherst, OH

Any ideas for how to get rid of bush green bean pests that are eating holes in the leaves? I'd like to do it organically. I got rid of the slugs that were eating them, but now something's eating the leaves. Do grasshoppers do that? I don't see any of those yellow bugs yet.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Mine are getting wiped out by Japanese beetles. Hope that's not what you've got.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Linda and Zeppy:

Get Safer's Caterpillar killer - it is simply AMAZING stuff - spray it on as directed and NO MORE leaf-eating worms or bugs!!!!

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Does anyone have the easy answer when the JB's cycle winds down for the season? Soon, I hope.

Lord, I hope so, roseone. I'd like to know myself. I'm chopping my bean vines down to a foot tall and hoping for regrowth.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Around my area JB's don't give up till end of August, sometimes up to mid-September! Yikes! And this year they even came out a tad bit earlier than they normally do, most likely due to the super-mild winter we had.

Linda7, it sure could be Jap Beetles...they seem to love my pole bean leaves! Normally though I tend to get bean leaf beetles but not to the point they really cause a drop in harvest. Many bean plants can really suffer lots of foliage loss before a crop is really depleted. KayJones is correct about the caterpillar product getting rid of the worms however it won't have an affect on the bugs/beetles. You'll either have to hand-pick them or spray. Neem oil will sure help with some things plus it seems to have a residual/deterrent effect for a while. For serious infestations you'll probably have to go (as a last resort, please) with pyrethrum spray, preferably liquid form. And remember, spray it when the bees have gone to bed.

Shoe.

Shoe, what are you doing for your pole beans? Like I said, I'm at the point where I think I'm just chopping the vines down to knee height. Really discouraging!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy, Zeppy...

So far I've just sprayed my pole bean plants with neem oil. It seems to be helping but then again I don't seem to have a really whopping infestation of JBeetles this year so can't really credit the neem as being super beneficial. (From what I've read/researched re neem and JB's it tends to slow them down but not necessarily kill them as a contact spray would. However, the research also hinted at neem offering some repellent properties.)

If the beetles, JB's, etc get worse I'll use some Safer's Soap with a tad bit of alcohol mixed in and spray it when the sun is off the plants. As a last resort I "might" use pyrethrum but I really don't care to and haven't used it for many years. Same is true w/rotenone. If I can just keep the major influx of JB's at bay for a while the plants will keep on growing and producing most likely up to end of October, and way before then the JB's will be gone.

By the way, a note on a quick observation. I have some greasy pole beans growing right next to my Blue Lake poles...the JB's don't seem to be as attracted to the greasy beans as they are to the Blue Lakes. Looking closer, it appears the foliage of the greasy beans is a tad bit thicker so perhaps that is what deters the JB's? Now, don't get me wrong, some of the greasy bean leaves have been eaten on, just not as many as the other type of bean plant. And it seems to be the younger (perhaps more tender?) leaves of the greasy plant.

Shoe.

Columbus, OH

Whatever is totally perforating the leaves on my McCaslan pole beans in central Ohio is also taking bites of the beans themselves and leaving brown indentations. But I can't catch any critters on the plants, anywhere. I did see one yellowish green moth-like insect on them briefly the other night, but have never caught more than one JPBeatle at any time of day. I tried a Safer product--not the soap--and that may have helped a bit. I would rather stick to something organic and want to use it in a way that does not harm the bees. Is it sufficient just to wait until they've retired for the night? I understand that Rotenone is organic, but what about the bees? And will it help?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.