Zucchini

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

I have 4 different kinds of zucchini growing. Every year I get lots of blooming but 2, 3, or 4 always rot at the blossom end. Any suggestions? Too much water, too little? More feeding?

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Dun, just to clarify: are you saying that of all your plants over an entire season you might have 2-4 individual zucchinis that get blossom end rot? Or are you saying you have 2-4 PLANTS which all produce zucchini with blossom end rot? Personally, if it is the former (just a few individual cases) I would just play the odds, cut off and dispose of the problematic ones as soon as you notice the problem, and then try to figure out what to do with all the many other healthy zucchini your plants are pumping out LOL! Could be a variety of causes. If you are losing entire plants to this syndrome, however, then something more serious might be at stake. I'll defer to other summer squash growers on that one.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

For what it's worth, I've always gotten a certain amount of blossom end rot on all my squash plants during the many years I've been gardening. I just toss them and harvest the sound fruits that the plants produce. I don't know why it happens.

Sunnyvale, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't seem to get BER if I hand pollinate, but when I start getting a lot of zukes, I don't bother since I can afford to lose a few.

tmm

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi - I've had this too, but have learned that the fruit that rots wasn't pollinated. Zucchini have male and female flowers. The male flowers are on the real long stems whereas the females are what the fruit grows from. I've never hand pollinated, but I'd be willing to give it a try if I don't get any fruit if the bees don't do their jobs

Berkeley, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for all your replies. Now I know. The more I garden the more I don't know!

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Bees, corn root worm beetles, cucumber beetles, and ants love that squash pollen so they usually get pollinated!!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

dun1kirk - I am in the same boat - I learned that this year too. I'm always learning something new

Plaistow, NH

This always happens to me too and I stilll haven't quite figured out why and how to stop it. Drives me crazy because I hear people say that zucchini is so easy to grow.........I've sprayed , dusted, placed calcium supplements in the soil.......next year I think I may try "Messenger"......it is I believe some sort of fungus preventer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.