HELP when I turn my compost pile I see lots of bugs.should I

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

when I turn my compost pile I see lots of bugs...should I? And I don't see worms. What is the deal? Should I see worms?

My pile is finally turning black but need to know if I should see worms? And should I see all of these other bugs. roaches and all kinds of beetles.

Everybody has bugs here I want to tell everyone I see I have worms. LOL Boy won't they think I've lost it. ROTFLOL

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Bugs are part of the process -- you're apparently doing it just right if you're seeing black in there. It can get too hot for the worms to be near the surface, so don't worry about it. This is one case where you don't need to worry about the means as long as you have the right end result. If you just gotta see those worms for some reason, try putting a 12" x 12" piece of cardboard down toward the bottom. They are likely to congregate under it as it's nice and cool and they like cardboard.

Peoria, IL

The bugs are eating and then pooping which is a good thing... bug poop means compost...

If you don't want to see so many bugs then you should increase the moisture in your pile... (in Texas that might be a bit difficult?)

Worms usually don't show up until the compost is nearly finished. (The worms can show up sooner, but generally they prefer the cooler finished pile, rather than a warm active pile.)

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Yeah, joe -- increased moisture down here means you're actually in the Gulf of Mexico.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.