Found this little guy in my yard today

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

This was a nice little visitor!!! According to my field guide, he is a Zebina Hairstreak. Says he rarely crosses the Mexican border!!

Thumbnail by PiggyPoo
Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Correction, I think it's the Mexican Gray

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ok, well...I've researched this out pretty good. Compared a lot of pictures both in my book and online, and I've decided it is the Mexican Gray Hairstreak, and I'm going to post him :0

This message was edited Jul 26, 2006 9:06 PM

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Great pic! Now that you've figured it out you've got time to do it for me. ;) Think they're related?

This message was edited Jul 26, 2006 11:13 PM

Thumbnail by konkreteblond
Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

kk, I'd say they were pretty darn close!!! I have been beating my head against a wall with this little guy tonight. Here, I'll post another picture of him..

Thumbnail by PiggyPoo
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

wow Lorri great find, both of you. Very nice shots

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Donna, would you agree on my name for this little guy?

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh, and btw, I got your envelope today. Will get the seeds out tomorrow. I had to giggle though. Didn't know a bubble could be used over and over again. I'd wondered the other day, when I got mine back, and thought "nah, it wouldn't work"

Thanks for that great tip, even though you didn't realize you were "tipping" me

Lorri :0)

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Yes I agree that yours and KK is the Mexican Gray. I checked my books to be sure also.

How are the fimbriata seeds doing. I planted some a few days after I mailed your and have a few sprouting as of yesterday.

Oh yes we use envies over and over and over again lol. Save a buck where you can. Postage is sure not going to go down. I bet with these gas increases they will go up again. Going to have to as high as it has gotten.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

You two having a discussion about pipevine without me?? seeds? easy to start? :)

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

yes KK Aristolochia fimbriata seeds. I started a few and will share if you need one if they make it. My DH is a seedling killer. He blast them with a hose when he helps me. He doesn't understand what mist the tiny ones means or don't blast the seeds and dirt out of the pots please lol

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

LOL too funny on the DH stuff. Mine simply stays away from it all. I haven't seen anybody popping their heads up yet. I just put them in on Sunday, so maybe a touch too soon. Do you have yours in a green house, or..in one of those little seed starting kits, or..how do you do yours, Donna? I have mine in one of those little seed starting houses. I talk to them every day :)

Lorri :)

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Lorri I have them in a seed tray but no lid out on the front walkway. I use jiffy seed starting mix and just keep damp.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

That's how I got my Triple Yellows to start, too. Maybe I should put my seed tray outside on my front porch, too. Hmmmm decisions decisions. I need more seed starting trays LOL

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

put it where it gets some good sun or lots of bright light

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hey..guess what? I just checked the tray (thought I'd checked it good before) and I have some Pineneedle Milkweed coming up!! Woohoo.

I have my tray sitting in front of an east facing window. It gets bright in there, but not direct sun. Is that ok?

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

ooh the pink veined milkweed?? It likes full sun but maybe not seedlings. Good for hanging basket. I had some I dug from the island but lost it in the hurricane

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Pink veined milkweed??? Not sure what you mean by that. I'm speaking of the Pineneedle Milkweed

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/123209/index.html

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Well well, look at PiggyPoo go! Good luck! You might inspire me. I have some seeds that I've not had luck with. I'll check and see what kind they are before I beg for yours. I'm getting a little bored of BST cats tho.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

This is my first real attempt at seeds, kk. other than the 4 little seedlings I have up for the Triple Yellow Daturas. And..they don't seem to be doing too much :(

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

oh no but that is nice too. Please save me one if they make it. I'll have to find the pics of the pink. it starts witha H i believe and is also called pineywoods milk week. Grows like ground cover. really neat. If there ever comes another day that the gulf is slick I will try to get back out to the islands. Have to be real careful since the back surgery. I am just now starting physical and had surgery 14 months ago. Have bone grafts, rods and screws. Not something I ever want to go through again.
I have some Syriaca, frutcosa, and specoisa started and they are popping up now. Just don't over water the seedlings. that is the worst thing you can do to them

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the tips!! I can use all of them that you have to offer, trust me. I read somewhere about misting them with a mixture of h. peroxide and water. I have barely been misting that seed tray, and I mean barely. I keep touching the planting mix, and it barely shows wet on my finger, and I have some nice moisture build up on the lid...so, I'm crossing my fingers.

Ouch on the back issues. My hubby had some serious issues with his back a couple years back. Had 3 herniated disks. One of his options was surgery, but he went for the injections instead. Knock on wood...all's been well with it so far.

You take care, girl!!!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

found it Lorri here it the link to my albums where it is posted
http://community.webshots.com/photo/78207264/1147550226039658816IBstPH#

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh that is sooo pretty!!! Does it attract butterflies?

Edited to say that I just looked it up in the plant files, and it does. But..It doesn't look like it would make it in my zone :(

This message was edited Jul 27, 2006 12:13 PM

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

I am sure you can grow it lorri. I grows out in the sand on the islands dependant only on rain water to live. In fact I killed the first batch I got from to much water. The next batch I brought home a bag of sand too and mixed it half and half with potting soil, stuck it out in the middle of the yard in a pot, and didn't water it very often.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I just caught something in one of the previous posts. The fruticosa you have..which one is it? It just dawned on me, when I saw that name again, that I just recieved some of those seeds. Mine are phlomis fruticosa!

And btw, your photo galleries are wonderful. I got lost in them, there for a bit!! Oh, and the Katrina damage. That's awful, but your new place is gorgeous. I could only imagine how nice it would be to sit at that dining room table in the mornings, with a cup of coffee and that view!!!

I'd love it if I could get some of that pink veined milkweed to grow here. I'm going to put one of my a. watsonii's in a hanging basket off my porch. One of the pink veined would be neat next to it!! I am waiting for the mailman to come pick up your envelope today. I'll throw some of the pineneedle seeds in for ya!! I soaked those for 20 minutes in peroxide, and put them right into the mix. And they are the ones up today!!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

oh I need to up date the albums so bad. If I can make it out to the island I will see what I can find. Will have to get DH to help me walk around through the sand dunes lol. Don't think I have the strenght on my own. If the damage out there is as bad as i think it is I may only try to get seed pods if available. Don't want to take what little food there may be for the butterflies and hummers.

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

What is the name of the Island, Donna?

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Petit Bois it is close to Dauphin Island, Ala if you have ever heard of it. We have(going from east to west in the Mississippi sound) Petit Bois, Sand(man made), Horn, Round, Deer, East and West Ship(hurricane cut it in 2 many years ago) Chaundelur(spelling) Islands. If you were a very good swimmer you could swim to Deer Island off the Biloxi beach side

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I had no idea that there were islands out there. How cool!

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Keep trying Lorri (I really wanna keep calling you PiggyPoo...lol) Seeds are so hard sometimes. It takes a lot of attention and even sometimes that doesn't work. Hopefully you'll have great success and be a natural at it. I learned I'm better at throwing them out in the fall.

DonnaB, I just learned by that webshots link that YOU are the one that webshots is always telling me about "1birdlady has new photos"! Last year I remember seeing BEAUTIFUL pics and just being so impressed that I actually added you as a "favorite". Be impressed because you are the only one I have! lol I haven't had time to look lately but now I'm even more impressed with you! :)

So sorry to hear about all your back trouble. That AND needing new glasses! I have a feeling that the butterflies and gardening helps keep your mind off of it and focused on better things! Those little 'ole ugly and weird looking cats making you do the happy dance is good for you!

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

kk, I'm used to being called PiggyPoo :) And yeah..I'm gonna keep on with the seeds. I think there is a greater reason behind it, than just having something grow. I think it's going to teach me to have more patience. Little lessons we learn without realizing we're learning them :)

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

KK you are making me blush;o) I really need to update with better newer pics I have. I haven't made any changes in over a year and only added a few pics and they were of our destroyed home and the new place here. Between the back surgery and then the hurricane on top of it all, losing everything we own and having to start all over from scratch. I honestly don't know how I haven't lost my mind. I would have lost it if we did not have flood Insurance. Thank God I did or we would be living in the street and bankrupt. It really makes me sick to drive by and see all the people in the tiny FEMA Trailers. There are still thousands and thousand heres. It is just unbelievable

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh my, I'm so sorry. I have caught just bits and pieces of things you've said but didn't know the extent of it. I guess if I had looked at Webshots I would. Well yes, thank God you aren't homeless, or worse. Times like that you learn that little things are so very important and reminds us to be thankful.
You are very actice here (hahaha, a webshots notice about you just popped up!) so I hope that everyone here has kept your spirits up!

Paige

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

wow everyone here has been great. Over half the plants I now have came from DG members including a whole new brug collection ;-)

Houston, TX

Took this picture in October 2206 in Houston, TX. Little lady laying eggs on a red coral vine. Was sure I had the Zebina Hairstreak, then got confused with the Gray Hairstreak. Female of the latter has a red orange crown on head, which I cannot
see in this picture. Help, anyone.

Thumbnail by catbird8
Edinburg, TX

That would have been a new county record if it had been a zebina!!! I think we've only had three records for south Texas.

Amazing how variant those gray streaks can be. We often mistake them for marius out here but we've learned to look for ohter markings and rekoas with gray eyes as opposed to black.

~ Cat

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

DonnaB, I know how you feel about your DH not knowing the correct nozzle setting for seedlings. I have had to curb my natural tendency to blast all the plants and be done with it. I now know what the mist setting on the nozzle does...LOL

Gotta go shopping,

Thanks everybody,

Chuck

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.