Does rooting hormone kills Heuchera cuttings?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

While transplanting a couple of Heucheras in the garden, I took some sections off of the mature Heucheras--I simply broke off a small piece with a section of the thick stem attached but NO roots. I dipped a few sections in rooting hormone powder and then put them into a pot indoors (bright light and all). They don't seem to be doing too well. Other sections, either too small or not looking too good, were plugged directly into pots outside (in the shade)--no big deal if they died, I figured. These, ironically, are doing better. Perhaps rooting hormone is the wrong thing to use with Heucheras? I am wondering whether anybody has experienced similar situations?

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Maybe heucheras are sensitive to chemicals? Used Preen in one bed to keep the weeds out and the heucheras died within 24 hours, everything else (astilbe, toad lily, hosta) is just fine. The label on the Preen doesn't mention heucheras as a problem.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

That's interesting! I also used Preen in some areas--very gingerly, but I didn't avoid Heucheras. My Heucheras swere doing great until mid spring when some started to have problems. I wondered if Preen had something to do with it. Thanks for sharing that. I'll be more careful with chemicals around Heucheras.

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

Can you split Heucheras like hostas or how do you seperate them to make more?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I am curious what Heuchera experts on this forum will say on this topic.

Here's what I've done: You know how Heucheras "grow out" of the soil? The bigger ones have some pretty thick sections that grow out of the main trunk. Some of these sections have a few roots attached. I have manually broken off a section or two (sometimes accidentally during spring cleaning:-). These I had no problem potting. In fact, that's how I moved a few of my Heucheras with me when we moved to Ohio. For some reason, I find it harder to grow Heucheras here in Ohio--perhaps Preen had something to do with it.

Perhaps splitting Heucheras like hostas is the way to go?

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Blue ASH---- I have some Palace Purple that I cut all of those off of last winter leaving nothing but short nubs and the plants are something else this year. Very busy and very large leaves. I send several plants to a sale every spring that are from stem cutting from other Heuchera. where did you come to Ohio from??? If it was up north I can why you had no problems before. I just got back from Columbus where I visited my daughter and bought 11 hosta at a place nearby called Seely's. They got they got over 550 species.

Bethel, OH(Zone 6a)

So you think if I split like hostas they will be ok.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

ozarkian--We moved from Virginia--Zone 7, I believe (though a bit more north than Cincinnati). Perhaps Heucheras are more sensitive to chemicals--I definitely have used more here than ever before (powdery mildew etc is HORRENDOUS for someone new to the region). I'll go easy with chemicals from now on.

How do you divide Heucheras?

Beachwood, OH

BlueAsh
I put it down to the heavy clay in OH. I have one really nice amended raised bed with loose fluffy soil that I made with lasagna gardening and the heucheras settled right in and started blooming. Everywhere else - they just dwindle away and die. I've given up on getting any more heucheras because I just don't succeed with them.

Mini--- you split them along the thick stems that they produce on to of the ground. They are called something like rezones.

Beachwood, OH

rhizomes

Well whatever they are alyrics.

Orangeville, ON(Zone 4b)

Hi BlueAsh,
Heucheras love good drainage & cool temps at night. They detest clay that keeps the sticky moisture hovering around them. It's been trial and error for me but now I know that I really have to amend the soil to the point of removing as much of my clay soil as possible. My heuchs that are growing on a bit of a slope do much better. True though, they can be fussy as all get out no matter what you do with them.
I have devided a few heuchs already this year by digging up the plant, washing it off so I could figure what I was doing, and cutting straight down through the crown with a clean, sharp knife. I then replanted and I kept them well watered; all are alive and kicking! I did not use rooting hormone myself but I don't think rooting hormone is necessary or would even hurt for that matter. You said you potted pieces with stem so that's good but what I think could've happened with them is they most likely got a fungal attack for the ones indoors (not as good as the ventilation outside). Maybe an application of fungicide for indoor starts would help them along. I potted up a piece of my Marmalade for my ex MIL and she has kept it in the pot for the past several weeks outside since I gave it to her; it's doing awesome and I'm so proud, hehe.

Erynne

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

You can propagate Heucheras by division like hostas (best method and done in early spring), leaf cuttings (best done in late fall) or seed. For example, Palace Purple is one that is normally propagated from seed. Seeds are selected from the darkest, best colored Palace Purples and the seeds take 3 weeks in spring to germinate (temps between 65 and 70). No rooting compound is needed for them.

Richmond, VA

As for dividing Heuchera I think it is done at different times in different Heat Zones. In Heat Zone 4 they divide in July but in SC you are a Heat Zone 9-7 making it a must for spring, I have no idea when it would be best done in VA I would guess late September.

Heuchera Hate CLAY! Clay also harbors anaerobic bacteria that will simply kill them.

If you want to see the Heat Zone Map click this link: http://www.ahs.org/pdfs/heatmap.pdf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.