Pooch's Purples, Lavenders, Whites and such

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Nai, Camano Phantom is the richest dark purple! The center will be open on this one, but the color is wonderful just like you said! Second photo ( link) has fooled the camera and looks redder than in reality. In the a.m. it's a dark purple, later in the day it looked almost maroon to my eye.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/2006%20New%20Dahlias/camanophantommoreopen.jpg

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Sandia Shomei took a while to open from a bud. Medium lavender with white about 3 ft tall and 3 inches across. I love how the waterlilies close up shop at night.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Taratahi Lilac- I hope this one gets better.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Aptos, CA

Mahhhhhhhvelous... I have found Taratahi Lilac to look like your picture...it has been prolific for me...it is pretty but doesn't turn me on that much...hhhhmmm hahahahaha

Delhi, IA

Can't wait for your phantom to fully open. Love the color. Sandia Shomei is lovely. Would be a good mixer in a bouquet.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Very nice Pooch - I did have my eyes on Tarahiti Lilac next year already, let us know how it turns out.

Chicago, IL

Gorgeous, Pooch.
Camano Phantom was the first to open for me. Beautiful indeed. The color will get richer as the weather cools off. I love this Dahlia. Was a freebie from Camano last year. Imagine that. A very good tuber maker too. Expect several large ones this fall. Jam, did I send you one this spring?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

I have one! I have one!
Mine is open real nicely but can't get a pic. Early in the morn. is too dark and when I get home from work, it is shadowed. So hopefully on the weekend?
It is a very very pretty one. I love it, Mone!

Chicago, IL

Glad to hear that, Carol. :-D
Isn't he beautiful? My photos always come out red and not doing him justice.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

That deep purple is so hard to capture on a camera! Drives me crazy too. It is really a rich, deep purple. I want to go look at it again LOL. Mone, I am stunned to hear it might get over 6 ft! Mine is a wee little stub of 3 ft, barely. Not enough nitrogen early on.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I can't wait to see the Phantom when he comes clear out of hiding. True purple is a little unusual too. Wicky Woo has a true purple in it. I have one called Purple Gem that is really Fuschia and I much prefer the deep purple.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Gorgeous Camano Phantom, I had toruble wiht Le Baron too, I found if I took a pic a long way off on zoom the colour came more true. It still has those redder edges though which I don't see, some shades within a colour the cameras can't cope with.

Sandia Shomei is a delicate beauty, I'm quite partial to waterlilies.

Chicago, IL

My Phantom is about 4ft right now. I am not sure he'll grow to 6ft this year. Last year I had to climb on a ladder to take photos.

Lenjo, do you have the Phantom too? If not and if I don't kill him, I'll send you one or you can get one from Annie or Carol or Jam. LOL.

I really need to go to the temple to see what has bloomed. I got a bunch of cuttings growing next door too, but haven't seen any blooms yet. The ones in another friend's garden are starting to bloom too.

Pooch, Cafe au Lait and Just Peachy are blooming. Just Peachy looks a bit like my Karma Sangria this year. There is something fascinating about Karma Sangria. The colors seem to vary depending on the weather. This one was from last year:

Thumbnail by Pitimpinai
Chicago, IL

And here's the Phantom from last year. The photo is redder than what he really looks like.

Thumbnail by Pitimpinai
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

My Sangria will be opening within a week I bet, just starting to turn slight colors on the tightly packed petals. I can't wait!

Just Peachy for me was a more relaxed flouncy bloom in paler pink/yellow blend? I have two this year in different spots so we'll see how they come out.

Your Phantom photo is getting very close to the real purple, I was thinking it will go great with Willow's unknown very, very purple cactus- equally hard to photograph.

Such an exciting time to finally get to see blooms. I passed a "Dahlia for Sale" roadside stand today after I had left a patient's home and realized I had to return having forgot something there. Well I drove all the way to the 'dahlia for sale' sign before turning around LOL, picked up some gorgeous big red informals and some bright yellow cactus ones ($1/each,) took them back to the house with me. So three parties were happified: the seller, me, and the recipient of surprise flowers.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Whoa, that is really gorgeous, I think the Phantom is great.Is that what is called an informal decorative? If so I think that is one of my partialities, the IDs.

Delhi, IA

Pitimpinai, You sent me great grasses which are growing gang-busters with all our rain.

Chicago, IL

Oh, OK, Jam. I'll send you a Phantom tuber next spring - unless I kill him this winter. :-)

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Camano Phantom is grrrrrrrrrrrreat! I'm trying every trick my camera can offer to try to get the pure purple color; it can't be done by me. But look what some "color accent' button produced-
green foliage, but the bloom is completely back to the 50's: black and white tv like. Weird.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Sandia Shomei has matured more to my liking,more solid lavender

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Taratahi Lilac got a bit fuller too. I'm still kind of so so on this one and hope I can do better.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

All spring and summer I've been cheering on my favorite: Cherrio. It grew tall and fast, buds formed, started to color up.
Cherrio is about my second all time favorite dahlia because of the luscious fuschia/white tipped color and usefulness as a cutflower.

Well. Here's what bloomed- another favorite and an early version pictured here: Painted Lady. I had forgot that Cherrio rotted early on and never changed the tag. So now I'm down to one little cutting of Cherrio, crossing my fingers it makes tubers but my hopes for many flowers are dashed. Dangit.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Sandia looks nice.
That Phantom doesn't do much for me, some black or white blends maybe ;)

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Pooch, I see a great ebay opportunity with your black and white!

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Try centering picture on something besides purple . a coke can , pack gum , candy bar - it fools camera and gives an idea of how big the flower is .

Thumbnail by tonyjr
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I'll try that Tony, or someone else with Camano Phantom try it- I have to get going for the day.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

My Stolze Von Berlin's first early bloom: it's lavender, not pink! I'm going to give it alfalfa pellets to see if the color gets richer.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Annie, it does look quite pale. I wonder if is something else. I have a lavendar like this and I will have to go to the garden and read the stake.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Lavender or pink, it doesn't matter; it's chockful of buds on a nice broad bush. I did sort of plan that area for pinks, but we shall see what little SVB does in the future.

Al, is there a chance it could have been mislabelled or mixed up in your multitude of purchases this spring? Have any similar to this?

Wallaby LOL on the 'ebay opportunity' for black and white Camano Phantom. I have no doubt someone out there would actually buy it based on the fake photo.

That's all for today.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Mine is probably more lavender than pink. I didn't buy any other balls in those colors.

Fresh off the stormbeaten vine here:

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Annie and BCAl, could this be the same as your pictures?

The similar dahlia I have is called Peek A Boo.

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That one is close.

Here is my tag, but tags lie all the time.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Pim , no I don't have a Phantom?

Al,are your last photos supposed to be Stolze von berlin?

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I'll post some further photos of Stolze VB as time goes on. I don't think it's going to be a pink ball though it's still pretty and will make up for my lavender Elizabeth Hammet which is nearing its deathbed- 3 inches tall. Bummer.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes - that is one that came from that package.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Somebody goofed, it seems. If I remember correctly Stolze is a great tuber producer.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's Stolze Von B today: lots of blooms opening on it how

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Returning this year: Blackberry Ripple

Thumbnail by Poochella
Delhi, IA

Stolze Von B is lovely. Is that a little water droplet on the petals? That would be total shock for my dahlias right now. Hot, hot. hot here, but today after 7 pm it is all to end.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Blackberry R. looks nice. So maybe it's not SVB - it is a very large plant with continuous flowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.