Thought I had the Blues

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi all,

Two of my Halcyon Hostas have gone from their normal beautiful powdery blue color to an ugly dark green over the last couple of months. I've had Halcyons in another area for years and never had this happen. Any ideas? Thanks.

Victor

Bel Air, MD(Zone 6b)

The blue coloration is caused by a waxy coating on the leaves. Under too much sun, or sometimes even in extreme heat the waxy coating melts and the leaves show the green underneath. Are the two with the problem in a sunnier or hotter area than the others?

The good news? They'll come back beautifully next year.

Lesley

Thanks. No, that's the weird thing. They don't get any more sun than the others and it did not happen to them last year! Hope you're right and they will come back.

Victor

Bettendorf, IA

Have you had a heat wave there?

We have had hot weather, but that should affect the other Halcyons as well.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

What about heavy rains? Almost all my blue Hosta are green this year between the heat and rain. If the other Halcyons were in a protected area meaning more shade/cooler or protected by trees/shrub over head they might retain ther coating better. I agree with kiwigal they will be fine next year.
Shady

Thanks. Actually, since my last post the others too have turned green. Guess it just took longer.

Victor

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

It sounds like all this heat we're having this summer, for sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.