"Diary of Some Mad Clems"

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I chose to plant clematis "PPE" with my David Austin Rosa "Cottage Rose"..which was only suppose to be a 3foot by 3 foot rose..but no one told David about our Texas Soil and Sun..."PPE" has already bloomed once this season considering it was a newbie planted into my gardens this past spring!!..So when I pruned it back..I also Pruned off some 3-5 foot canes off of "Cottage Rose"..I think I like this combination..don't you?...

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I also had a Hiccup with my Clematis "Proteus" seems he wasn't happy just being one of him and one of the vines laying along the ground rooted himself and popped up into my Rose with "PPE"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

"PPE" has been such a delight..!!..I have enjoyed him..isn't he special?

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Just so you'll see "Cottage Rose" when she is fully blown!!

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Over to the right you can see clematis "Rhapsody".."Proteus"..."PPE" and "Cottage Rose"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

This maybe only year 2 for some of my clems in the new gardens but boy , oh boy have they grown!!...Clematis "Polish Spirit" has already been cut back once and now has filled one side of the arbor again and has snuck over to Clematis "Multi-Blue" and even up my Apple Tree!!

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

See what I mean..you don't belong there..

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "Rhapsody" didn't do squat this year with a couple of blooms and then boom..it did all of this??..It does seem to get brown leaves tho!

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

"Ernest Markham Has been truly a joy ..blooming all season..I have it companioned with Climbing Rosa "Don Juan" and it is to the top..."Don" is blooming a flush as you saw in the other picture on the left hand side of my Arbor..."Ernest" put vines all up in there..can't wait to see it blooming together..if this is year 2 ..aka "Creep" year..then someone will have to sedate me come "Leap" year...Hope you enjoyed...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

All your Clematis are growing like gang busters! It must be the Texas soil, sun and lots of t.l.c.! Good going!!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

What Beauties!!! When you have your Clematis with the Roses, did you plant them at the same time?

Debbie

Monon, IN

Hi, Jeanne.

I saw "Proteus" at a nursery and just had to have one! It is still quite small, but already put out some tiny blooms. I'm anxious to see what it looks like next year.

I love the idea of growing roses and clematis together, but it seems it could be difficult to properly prune each one when they have different pruning requirements, and when the clematis is twined tightly together with the rose...?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Debbie..some I did plant at the same time I planted my Roses but some Clematis I added later to my Climbing roses when I developed my Clemataholic disease...thanks Shirl!!!..I have a new product that I am trying out on my Clems..It's all the rave in California...so will let yall know my assessment of it on my clems...and no it isn't "Messenger" nor does it contain Harpin...I hope I see the same results that my California friend does!!...Jeanne

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

CarolJeanie...that I why I choose to grow pruning group 3s with my Roses..you just pruned them in later winter/early spring an inch above the 2nd or 3rd leaf axil and yank out the old vines...nothing to it....Clematis "Proteus" is a joy in my garden..but being a pruning group 2..I let him have his own space..but he was treated like a Pruning group 3 this year since he was a baby the year before and has grown like a weed..so naughty he climbed over onto my Obelisk that I have my Mandevilla Planted on...LOL..he is such a treat and deserves his own space....Jeanne...
Here is my other "Proteus"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

He has grown so much that since I took this pic...I added more wire fencing and attached above this Trellis for him to clmb taller...

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

love the title of this thread. lol

Aurora, IL

Very pretty groupings! And PPE is so unique!

Appleton, WI

Great photos, Jeanne. Your lawn grass looks so green. You must have been getting ample rain this year.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The thread began in 2006, JJ, so I'm not sure about the rain Jeanne got this year.

Appleton, WI

Oh... lol, thanks for pointing that out.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Jeannie,
Haven't seen you post in a long time on the clematis thread. Have you been ill?

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I saw a post of hers yesterday in a clematis thread. Or is there another Jeannie and I am confused and thinking you mean Jeanne, without the 'i'? Then never mind. :-)

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Love the clem but the red in the background makes the photo pop.

I think you have the right Jeanne - JeanneTX, right?

Baton Rouge, LA

You're right, Sue. Jeanne posted just a few days ago in the not-a-coop thread. =)

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh, I'm sorry - I was referring to JeanneTX but just realized the posts above were not lately but July! Since this thread was up top I assumed it was a recent, ongoing thread. Also sorry about the spelling. I have a good friend who spells it Jeannie.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.