Starting peppers from seed question

St Augustine, FL(Zone 9a)

This is probably a dumb question, but if I cut open and dry the seeds from a fresh green pepper, will the seeds produce plants that contain peppers? Karen

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Possibly but most likely not as green peppers are usually immature. They need to ripen before the seeds are viable.

Oh shucks. Looking for an easy way out. Thanks. Karen

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

So if you cut open and dry the seeds from a red pepper, maybe it would work better.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

true, or a yellow pepper. Maturity is the key

Chesapeake Beach, MD

But if you're taking seeds from some non-OP pepper, then who knows what you're going to end up with.

Buy seeds from a reputable source. Some seed suppliers like Pine Tree are wonderful to deal with and offer a great variety in small quantities which are affordable and convenient for the home gardener.

The seeds I planted have sprouted. Do your answers mean that I will not get peppers on the plants?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If the seed sprout, they will continue to act as pepper plants. If they were hybrids, the peppers may a bit different from the parent. But if they continue to grow normally you should get peppers just as would from store bought seeds. Many times if you take seeds from a green pepper they are not mature enoght to sprout. If they sprout, you are home free, you may not know what pepper you have, but are ready for the great adventure.

OH GOODY!!! Thanks so much!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.