A Labor of Love

Clairton, PA(Zone 6a)

...richly rewarded. This evening's pickings make worthwhile the hours in the sun, the sore arms, and the gardener's tan I've developed.

Thumbnail by kurtwall
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Nice and healthy looking!

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

That looks wonderful. Nice pic, and pickings!

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

Very nice....what are the little toms? i happen to have a pic of yesterdays bounty too...only I left out the zuccini (sp?).

Thumbnail by houseplntjunkie
Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

here is the big guy.......there were a few little summer squash too...but alredy ate em....LOL

Thumbnail by houseplntjunkie
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Laughing! That's a lot of zucchini bread!

Wow, you have a red pepper already? Which kind is it?

Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

I knew I was spelling that wrong......I just couldnt place how.....LOL the red pepper is a cayenne......I waited for three weeks for it to become red.......It was finished growing what felt like forever ago.....LOL

This message was edited Jul 31, 2006 5:33 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I've never grown cayenne, just jalapenos and anchos.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Ok - that's just NOT right! Tell the truth, now! That's an infants arm, right!?!

Holy cow!!!

Clairton, PA(Zone 6a)

houseplntjunkie: The little guys were grape tomatoes from Bonnie. They haven't been as sweet as I was hoping, but they're still one-bite snackable.

Louisville, TN(Zone 7a)

hey kurtwall
how do you plan to cook that patty pan squash? i saw in a magazine where they picked them the size of golf balls, boiled them sliced them in half and put a dollop of a stuffing in the middle. also, anyone know a good way to cook butternut squash?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

My Juliet grape tomatoes are large this year with tough skins. Definately two biters. I dried some the other day, but don't think the end product was worth the time. They dried pretty thin.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

None of my tomatoes are as sweet so far this season - I'm hoping the flavor will pick up as the season develops. I know the Isis Candy are supposed to be real sweet, but so far they are not knocking MY socks off!

Are your Juliet Grapes from commercial seeds?

My SunGold are incredible. I'm getting 30-40 cherries off just two plants every day. Everyone who tastes them closes his or her eyes. Or says something like, "good Lord, that's fantastic."

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sequee, one Juliet was a volunteer. If I had known I'd have one, I wouldn't have planted one! I got the seed from Totally Tomatoes. (I need to do a taste test to see if one is better than the other.)

Zeppy, is that red, orange or yellow?

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Your volunteers may not be as good as the originals. A few years ago my boss saved seeds from his Juliet. They were great the next year, but the following year they were small plums. The flavor was still good, but they 2-3 ounces. The next year they were even larger and not as good.

Similarly, the volunteers degraded over 2 years time. (It was interesting to watch them change, though!)

I will be interested to see how your taste-tests go!

Orange, more or less.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/53331/index.html

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I have heard nothing but rave reviews on this tomato. It will definitely be in my garden next year!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sequee, that explains the size! I wondered. I thought it was the timely rains we got. When I'm not sucking on a peppermint, I'll have a taste test. I think more will be ripe tonight. I picked them pretty close last night.

Thanks for the link Zeppy. I think your reactions are similar to me tasting a Black Krim for the first time. So naturally sweet, yet still a tomato. Swoon!

My first Black Krim will be ready by Saturday. I am watching it very carefully.

yumyumyum

SunGold's a hybrid, so you do have to buy/trade the seeds....

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I saw in the plant info it might not come true from seed. Good to know!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.