Thalia

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

This a a pic of a purple Thalia water canna. It was just a small slip when I got it a few months ago. It hasn't bloomed yet, but will have small purple flowers when it does. I have been told it is very hard to grow from seed. paul

Thumbnail by phicks
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hey Paul, you ever hear about thalia getting a virus? Mine looks bad. White and deterioration down all the veining in the leaves. This is my third year with it and this started about 2 months ago. It's in the pond (always been in the pond) and for the record there has never been a virused canna in the pond. I have had and do have virused colocasia in the pond however. What do you think? Or anyone else?

Lynn

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

iam not sure Lynn ill check around paul

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Lynn is the white on the plant like a powder? i read that some times they get that on plant . paul

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

No, it's very much within the leaf. It very much resembles the canna virus. I'll get out and take a pic in a little while. Thanks for checking into this BTW I know you're busy..........you must have a thousand cannas to take of LOL, been looking at all your lovely pics :-)

Lynn

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Here they are

Thumbnail by azreno
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Another

Thumbnail by azreno
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

This one has the light behind, you can see how it's a deterioration and not variegation.

Thumbnail by azreno
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

it may be some thing other then a virus is it planted right in the pond or is it in a pot?

Croton-on-Hudson, NY(Zone 6b)

This year I planted a canna labeled Thalia dealbata that looks like the photo in the original post. It is next to our pond inlet. It seems happy but has not produced blooms yet. Maybe it is too early or too small? At any rate, my question is this - we are in zone 6. My other canna have to be dug for the winter. I am assuming this Thalia has the same requirements. If it needs to be dug, can it be stored the same way as my other canna?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

its a water canna . you need to keep it damp this winter wrap it in cheese cloth or news papper keep it in the celler or some place that does not go below 45 paul

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Nope, in pots, 3 different ones all with same symptom. I'd hate to have to throw all these out, but if this keeps up I see no choice- it's not attractive. I will cut one pot in half and repot it with fresh fertilizer, see if that takes care of it.....I know with the colocasia, repotting generally takes care of it's virus. We'll see!

Lynn

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

they may not be geting enough to eat paul

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.