Basil and Mint getting eaten

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 6b)

Something is eating my basil and mint. Don't see any critters on the leaves, or signs of them. It has to be a bug or slug because no rabbits or deer get into the garden? Any ideas?

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Oh boy, I thought mint was bug-resistant! Sure it's not a suqirrel or something? A cat?

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Japanese beetles have been munching my basil, although I don't see them all the time.

pam

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Is it eating the leaves clean off, or making holes?

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 6b)

clean off, leaves the stems

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

That's not J. Beetles, methinks.

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Yup that sounds like a bigger something. Do you have any grasshoppers around?

Ronkonkoma, NY(Zone 6b)

I have never seen a grasshoper in the garden. I am still having a problem with these little caterpillar/worms though. They are green, usually about a quater inch in diameter or smaller, and they are stripped lengthwise. They always crawl into the tip/new growth ball of the brusselsprouts and they chew holes in the tender leaves as they grow. My new ritual is every week I go out and powder all my plants at this growth tip with this low-toxicity garden dust (garden safe I think it is). It seems to work for a while, but sure enough they come back and do it again. Its making me nuts. Perhaps these little creeps are also eating the mint. Though I haven't seen any. I saw one in the corn yesterday. I wish I had an effective way to get rid of them.

Acton, TN(Zone 7a)

Dipel / (BT - Bacillus Theringus which is a naturally occuring bacteria) works great for all catepillars and isn't harmful to the other good bugs. It's usually applied as a dust. Gardener Alive has a similar product made from fermenting a different bacteria in a liquid version called Bulls-eye - http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8756&ss=bulls-eye . Dipel should be available at Lowe's & the Co-op.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.