The taste of slugs.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I just came in from picking salmon berries up here in Kodiak Alaska. They are the size of my thumb! And soo sweet I was gobbling lots of them when suddenly I got a bad salty taste and sure enough I bit into a slug buried in one of the morsels. Yuuuuuuck! I will never know why geese like these yucky things. No they do NOT taste like oysters.

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh my gosh, you poor thing you!!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I'm still brushing my teeth. That slime does not want to come off. I have never tasted any berry so sweet except for the himmalayan Blackberry that is a weed in Seattle.

Marysville, WA

SOFERDIG,
And all this time I thought they tasted like chicken, LOLROF

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

No chicken in the one I tasted. Well maybe chicken crop material.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Ah, that made my morning. Sorry, Sofer. Slug slime has amazing sticking properties. Perhaps beer?... or moonshine?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

No beer I'm on call. But tooth paste especially on the roof of my mouth works the best. Slugs taste like "No salt" potassium chloride.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I used to do a program on slugs/snails for kids (at the zoo) and I would show them how the slugs could travel across the sharp edge of a piece of glass without any injury to them. And then I'd try to get the slime off my fingers, and especially under my fingernails. Awful stuff. I know of which you speak! Scrub and scrub and scrub. They should be able to use that slime for an industrial lubricant!!!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Try peroxide, vinegar or ammonia Soferdig!

I find the same persistent slime quality present in dog saliva which is ever present on our kitchen floor. What the heck is in dog spit molecules that is so hard to break? Slugs may be slow and lowdown, but one has to give them credit for perfecting slime.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh Soferdig, ROTFL, with you. That had to be bad!

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

I'd try peroxide or vinegar before ammonia! Maybe that's why they were listed in that order!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

Lots and lots and lots of minty fresh mouthwash!

I remember my mother telling me about the time my uncle picked an apple from a tree, took a bite and ate it, and then looked at the apple to see half a worm crawling away.

Ewww!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

ewwww is right! I've drank plenty of dirt and bugs in my coffee cup in the garden, but never have taste tested a slug or an apple worm.

I was kidding about the peroxide, vinegar and ammonia in the mouth! That's what I try on the floors to break down the dog slime. I vote for minty mouthwash after a couple beers to lure any slug remnants out from the gumline LOL! Sorry Soferdig, it is a funny scenario though, munching a plump juicy berry.....

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I've heard that slug slime can be used as a sedative. Tell us, Soferdig... are you feeling a little 'sluggish'? LOL!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL!!!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

LOL squared!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Thats funny wheezingreens. I laughed a lot on that one. Ewww laughing must have dislodged some slug slime from my tonsil. Next time I brush my tonsils too. Can you imagine I for a long time will be looking at the berries I pick. How bad cause I pick huckelberries, strawberries, rasberrys, blackberries, choke cherries, aronia berries, salmon berries, and what ever. I shall no longer have that feeding frenzy like I used to.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

What do slugs taste like?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Like potassium chloride and bicarbonate of soda. Really a tart bite of metallic salt and then a flat blah. I can't say that any of the slug went past my first taste bud.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Perhaps they improve with a bit of steaming... such as escargot.

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

I got bored:

Good thing that you weren’t in Austrailia or Fiji:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/health/HealthRepublish_969551.htm

Tim says to eat them and remove the digestive gland (that’s what didn’t taste good), but also suggests cooking first due to similar problems as overseas:
http://shellcollecting.tribe.net/thread/240db251-f8ef-4cb5-aff2-24f848a73efb

Chandra Meissner didn’t like eating slugs, but she didn’t like cow bile, either:
http://www.nbc.com/Fear_Factor/gross/312_slugs_bile.shtml

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well that just proves that we gardeners are smarter than the average Joe. I spit mine out!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I think I've just been put off escargot for the rest of my life.

There is nothing on this green earth that would make me eat a bug, of any kind.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You have never ridden a motorcycle and smiled at a beautiful tree. LOL

Jeffersonville, IN(Zone 6b)

Oh yeah, many a big swallowed that way!! Those were the days...

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

One wet summer here, and I could fill my freezer with slugs. I could lay them out on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer, then scrape the frozen slugs into ziplock freezer bags. Slug stir fry, slug stew, slug lasagna, slug pate, sweet and sour slug, slug omelets... the possibilities are endless. Now, if I have to field dress these little puppies, filling the freezer would be a real chore.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Slug pate good Idea. No field dressing just put in blender and splat!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, but we are still dealing with that foul digestive tract issue. Maybe a small crochet hook through the vent, and swoosh... slug dressed and ready for blending.

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

wonder if this guy would french fry ?

Thumbnail by Strever
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Or burrito filling... or a slug dog.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You could never Fry a slug only saute or bake. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.