Journal July 23 2006

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I have two water pools that I wanted to connect with a small stream. I also wanted water falls to go with it. We live on old strip mine ground and there is a small lake very near my home. Behind the lake runs a small stream with a lot of the flat shale stones of various sizes. Well, I got the idea that I would go down and get enough to build my stream. I spent all day saturday digging and dragging........ felt like I moved a ton of rock (and might have if you count how many times I moved my little pile....lol). I ended up with enough to cover the bed of my truck about one deep. Could barely move last night but doing slightly better today. You can bet that I will be VERY PICKY about where I put those rocks! And that I will never, ever do that again. :)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

WOW! What a job you took on. I can hardly even imagine doing such a thing. Once upon a time I would have, but that was many moons ago.

I never thought it would be so hard to find a small female dog. Mutt even. All we want is a small watch dog who will let us know when someone drives up, etc. one of ours is old with poor vision and selective hearing and only barks when he is outside and wants back into the house & the Beagle only barks when on the trail of rabbits, etc. I have called the local shelter, checked all local papers, put an ad on the local free radio program, etc. all to no avail. The shelter says smaller dogs are hard to find and we don't want a big one. I've even called breeding kennels to see if they have something very pet quality to sell cheap but they don't have anything like what we want. It will have to get along with our 2 dogs, 5 or 6 cats, a small child, and the poultry.

The heat has really taken a lot on everything around here. The man who rents the hay land debated on whether or not to cut the hay because it is so dry. Finally Jack advised him to call the local University Extension agent for advice. He was told to cut it because trying to support the entire plant in the drought was harder on the alfalfa than the shock of being mowed and then having to put on new growth. When I came home last night it was all mowed. We put the ducks back in yesterday morning when the man called and said he was going to do the mowing. I left them in the yard this morning. We lost 4 hens when he mowed the first cutting. Ducks tend to just set down in front of the machinery and let it run over them. Chickens will fly or run away. Of course the machinery operator can't see the dumb ducks so he isn't to blame for their demise.

I need to go check on some laundry and get other things done. GOD bless and keep each of you.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

this is the newest member of the family his names joe well the heat is back i was out a little bit ago and decided to just set here till it starts to cool off We got our hay up wed. and then got a 1/3 of a inch of rain thrus but have sprinkler running now

Thumbnail by dave719
Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

What a wonderful little boy! I am sure that you will enjoy having him around. The dogs and I have decided to stay in and try to keep cool instead of possibly getting a heat stroke by trying to work outside today. :)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Dave, he is a doll. And your grass is so green!!

We haven't had rain for weeks now. Even the fescue is brown and crisp. It has been a long time since that has happened. The prostrate knotweed is wilted but still green. The state fair is a couple weeks off and we usually get lots of rain that week. I don't think we did last year tho. They keep moving the date to earlier and earlier in the month of August so I'm sure that has something to do with it. We use to be able to count on at least hard winds and lots of rain if not a tornado or 2 during the fair. But I also remember that mowing alfalfa or nearly any kind of hay or hanging laundry on the line or washing the family car when you lived on a dirt road as being a sure way to bring on the rain. Or leaving windows open when you go to town. We have done nearly all of that lately to no avail. I don't do clotheslines anymore. When it comes to the laundry I am a totally modern woman.

I need to get to bed. Have a great weekend everyone. GOD bless and keep each of you.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Dave, he is a cutie! Also, can I have your lawn? Ours is all burned up. Pretty much everything is burned here. I have quit watering everything except my pussy willows, cannas, and potted plants and veggies. My peppers are doing great this year but my tomatoes are not. Right now there are 3 tomatoes on the vine and that is it. I have picked 4 altogether. I have lost count of how many peppers I have picked and have left on the vine.

Because of the drought the birds and wildlife have been having a hard time finding water so I have set out a small birdbath next to a feeder for them. They are very happy to have water to drink and play in.

Well, that's it for now. Have a great day and keep cool. Don't need anyone to get a heat stroke.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.