My aster has powdery mildew

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

This aster, that was so beautiful in this photo taken last year, is plagued with powdery mildew now. What I want to know is, should I just cut it back nearly to the ground, to get rid of the mildew, and let it grow back? I realized it might not bloom anymore, but that's okay. I just want a healthy plant.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have cut back monarda with bad mildew and it did grow back. I have never had mildew on any asters yet. Mildew gets to be so bad though that the leaves certainly are not functioning so you might as well IMO.

Al

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

That's what I was thinking. I had powdery mildew on Coreopsis 'Zamfir' last year, and I cut it back right before frost and it came back this year quite healthy. I'll be cutting the aster tomorrow. Thanks!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Kylee,

That's a shame,,,such a beautiful flower. But, like you said,,,healthy plant is always the first thought.

Kelly

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, that's what it looked like LAST year. This year, not so good. :-(

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Aw, it'll be lovely again next year. I know how it feels to have to cut one of your babies down.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Yeah. It's in a prominent location, too!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

oooo, that stinks. Um, my Mom uses a silk plant,,,maybe that would work for this year?,LOL

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

LOLOL. Kelly, you're a brat. I still love you, though!

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

LOL,,,you too,,,She does though,,,I'm completely serious ask Equil,,,,she saw it.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I remember reading about that!

And more bad news........my magnolia tree/bush has powdery mildew, too, and I am NOT cutting THAT down. :-(

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Is there any way to treat powdery mildew?I have it really bad on my dahlias and now my honeysuckle vine.I sure don't want to cut them back now.Any ideas?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Yeah, I've got some Ortho stuff that I use for the roses when that happens. But strangely enough, the roses have been fine. (Knock on wood.)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Cedar - it is tuff to clear up once it is on there. A systemic fungicide applied to succeptable plants near problem times help. Honenysuckle is one of the worst and I don't think there is anyway to keep it totally off. I have only had mildew on a dahlia growing on the ground. The organic people could tell you how to use milk also.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

My honeysuckle looks pretty pathetic right now so maybe I should go ahead and cut that back.As for the dahlia I think I might try a fungicide and see if it will snap out of it.I will also check into some organic gardening help.
Thanks for the help!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I don't know if they have anything, but you might check GardensAlive! (http://www.gardensalive.com) to see if they have something organic. They've got lots of stuff that is.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the link kbaumie.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2006 9:52 PM

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Gosh, I think I'm going to unwatch this thread,,,,,this seems to be catching,,,LOL

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, we've had such hot, dry weather, I'm not surprised!

Sorry about that, Kelly! :-( What has it at your house?

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Nothing yet,,,but don't want to get it,,,,LOL

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

Here is a thread sitting right "next door" to this one, on treating powdery mildew in phlox. A peroxide solution appers to be another harmless spray:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/628869/

Peter

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.