Anyone Growing Encore (Fall Reblooming) Azaleas?

Raleigh, NC

I want to purchase some of these, but some things I've seen online suggest they may not be as good of bloomers as the advertising claims. Does anyone have personal experience growing them? I live in zone 7b--would appreciate input from anyone, anywhere, though. Especially wondering if they will bloom in shade, or if they need more sun than other azaleas? Are there other reblooming varieties than the Encore series? Thanks!

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

They prefer morning sun and partial afternoon shade. They will tolerate full sun but you have to make sure they receive enough water (brown foliage can be a sign of either over-fertilizing or under-watering). If they aren't producing blooms, perform a soil test to ensure they have the proper nutrients.

Raleigh, NC

Thank you so much--Do you have personal experience growing them? They will get brief morning sun (one hour max), then filtered sun/shade the rest of the day. Just curious if this is enough for them to bloom well...

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

1 hour a day? I was thinking more like 6 hours a day of direct sun and then filtered shade... Yes, we grow them - in 20% shade greenhouses. Most of our plants are in 50-60% shade greenhouses but they require more sun.

We haven't had a problem with them blooming - they bloom as advertised if they are properly planted and receive the correct amounts of nutrients. When you buy them, whomever you buy them from should give you detailed care instructions, including proper planting and fertilizing techniques.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2006 10:14 PM

Santee, SC(Zone 9b)

Hi Yotedog!

Yes, I'm having 6 plants Encore Azeleas. Three plants are Autumn Rouge and other three are Angel White.
Autumn Rouge are blooming right now ( 24 July ) lovely red blooms.
My plants are small but each plant have at least 30-40 blooms.
Angel White are about to bloom but blooms are not open yet.
My plants are in morning sun but receive mostly shade in afternoon.

Maria

Raleigh, NC

Thanks Maria--seems like they really do bloom well. Mine would get less sun than yours, but I think its worth a try...Seems like nurseries are starting to have them on sale now anyway, so can get them a little cheaper...

(Zone 8a)

Hi, Yotedog- we moved from NC to 20 minutes down the road to SC (Lake Wylie) last August. Our townhouse back yard is just 28' X 38'. And we decided to plant in our small place JUST the things we love. Azeleas, among other things, we love. But decided to plant the new Encore Azeleas. In March, we put in 5 of them. They all bloomed in April. And since then, they have put out blooms about every 3 weeks....amazing! But these "reblooms" are sparse. Ours are in full sun for most of the day. They are growing well and we are very happy. Of course, in this sizzling heat, we are watering them every other day...and they seem happy.
My research did not turn up any other reblooming azeleas except Encore.
Our garden is really coming along....and we are enjoying putting in the plants that we have particularly adored over the years! You just ought to see it!

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

Mine is in bloom now, Autumn Monarch, I think it a confused plant as it's early spring blloms are sparce and now it has 3 times as blooms as it did this spring, it is a young plant so it may change it's bloom cycle as it matures.

Greg

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I love the encores.It takes a few years but once they get established they bloom on and off most of the year.

There are 2 blooming right now and they are about the only blooms I have in my front garden under the live oaks.

Nancy

Raleigh, NC

Thanks to all for the input--it seems like they might be pretty happy in several locations--full sun, under oaks etc (hey, that sounds like regular azaleas.....!). From what you have all said, I think they are definitely worth the expense of trying. Thanks for the answers!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.