WHAT are they doing?

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I just happened to spot this and was very surprised to see how many of whatever-these-are on it! It was getting dark outside - do they sleep in flowers?

Thumbnail by konkreteblond
Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

pic 2

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

They might have just been getting a snack before going to bed. I'd like to know if they were there after it was really dark - I've never seen or heard of that... Neat picture. Those look like wasps to me. The kind that build paper nests in plants....

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Some creatures do sleep in flowers. I have seen bees in my Chaste tree sleeping. I also have some mexican sage and the first time it bloomed, I thought it was covered with dead bees early one morning - really scared me as it looked like some catastrophe had occurred but then I saw them starting to move as the sun hit them. I've also seen lightening bugs sleeping in gladiola.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Darn, I wish I had thought to go back and check on them later. I wonder what the chances of them going to the same flower tonight would be? I'll look anyways.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

They are apparently sleeping in my flower!! Too weird!! I just went out with my flashlight in the dark and this is a pic of that same flower.

Well that's good to know! I never knew that they did that...and two nights in a row, too - at least!

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Isn't that weird! I'm going to go out tomorrow and check during the day and make sure they are alive and actually leaving the flower.

I love being amazed in my own back yard!!

Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

That's pretty cool, konkreteblonde.

My Nana had some butterflies - Zebra butterflies (not the swallowtails, the slow flittering ones) - that would come every night to sleep on this one particular strand of Spanish moss. Every evening, they would line up alternately on both sides of the moss to go to sleep.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Night_Bloom - that is a wonderful visual image!

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

They aren't there this morning. I'll check back this evening. What funny little creatures!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Quoting:
Every evening, they would line up alternately on both sides of the moss to go to sleep.
Talk about someone watching you... If only we people could get along that well.

as? Sneaky, Soferdig!!!

Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6b)

Those photos are AWESOME! Even the colors of the bees compliment the zinnia color. If one had arranged themin an intentionally artful design, it couldn't have been lovlier.
I learned the hard way that bees also like to sleep in black eyed susans. I tackled a big weeding job at 7am on Sat when I started work at the garden center. The area displaying the concrete pots, planters and urns was looking entirely too green so I thought the coolish rainy morning would be a great time to clean it up. Didn't see the sleeping bees on the yellow/orange petals while I was attacking the neighboring weeds but they sure saw me! They had their way with my forearm above my glove to express their displeasure at being awakened before they were ready. I still look kind of like Popeye. Live and learn.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.