growing grass on former fire pit

Bayport, MN

Hi,
I am a newbie to Dave's garden. I have a problem and I can't seem to find the right answer. I am trying to grow lawn (bluegrass and rye) over an area that was in the past used to burn wood. I am assuming the ash in the soil is the problem. Elsewhere on my lawn, things are looking beautiful but this area, which is right off my deck and on the traffic path, is scraggly and weedy.

Can anyone suggest a soil amendment for this problem?

Thanks so much!
Teresa

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Use nitrogen and rototill it into the wood burn. Unless there were chemicals in the burned material then who knows what.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I thought burning put nitrogen in the soil????

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Chances are that the soil is dead where you burned,but will survive.I would put some good soil amendment in the burn area,and till it in.Grass should grow.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes but not much and most of what it puts back in the soil is soil salts. Calcium, potassium, etc which neutralize PH. But I also see in the many burns here in montana only the heartiest ones start until soils have some carbon placed back in the soil. The fire has burned all the water holding potential in the soil. Only native clay, sand, rock left. All the loam (carbon and Nitrogen) is turned to heat in the fire.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.