Suggestions for gift

Vancouver, Canada

The man in my life loves to garden...even in red Georgia clay. I want to get him a fragrant addition for his garden (if it attracts butterflies and hummingbirds so much the better). The problem...what? Vines or shrubs would be best because he has built the most amazing trellis'. So...you experienced Georgian Gardeners...what has worked well for you and where did you find your plants? I love gardenias and mock orange for scent but I'm not sure either are up to red clay, blazing sun and downpours.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Gardenias are fantastic here. There's even a thread going...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/616398/

I think a gardenia should be a lovely gift. They are beautiful, romantic, fragrant, evergreen, hardy as nails here...everything that sympolizes a beautiful relationship.

GGG

Thomson, GA

What a beautiful idea. I can't think of anything more appropriate, and I don't think you have to worry about if it will survive Georgia weather. I planted 6 several weeks ago, half in morning sun and half in afternoon sun on opposite sides of my deck. All have new growth, and seem to be thriving even in the drought conditions we have been experiencing (until tonight!! yea!!) I only watered them when I planted them, and then kinda forgot about them until this weekend. Oops. Now I find myself looking for other places to plant these wonderful plants! I say go for it! I know nothing about mock orange, but I may try one of those, too!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Is this forum open to the public? Since's she's not a subcriber, you may want to dmail her.

Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

Honeysuckle? Wisteria? Sweet Olive smells fantastic as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.