strawberry pest - need ID

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

Hi,

Can anyone help me identify this insect? I've only seen it on my strawberries (both Alpine and regular). It seems to go just for the almost ripe or ripe fruit. They're tiny but they sure do a lot of damage!

Thumbnail by McCool
Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

It is definitely some kind of bug (Hempitera) - but I can't be sure what kind exactly. A view of its back might help a bit more.

bugs suck plant or fuit juices, so if you are seeing "chomping" damage, this isn't your guy. If you are seeing the fruit get sucked dry, than this could be your guy.

Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Night Bloom,

Actually I've had both types of damage to the strawberries, but these little guys seem to be all over the fruit any time I take a look for ripe berries. I did take a couple more pictures after the bug had expired, but don't know whether they're good enough for anyone to ID the critter for me.

Here's one.

Thumbnail by McCool
Millbury, MA(Zone 5a)

Here's the other.

Thumbnail by McCool
Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

McCool - Unfortunately, all I can say for sure is that it is a bug even with the added pictures.

A pyrethrin should work on them without making you have to wait to harvest your strawberries.

Anyone else see these before? I gave up trying to grow strawberries a while ago. They are just too difficult for me. If it requires too much fussing, I won't bother - heh.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.