short ferns for groundcover -input needed

Export, PA(Zone 5b)

I'm a new member and enjoy learning from everyone's experiences! I have well drained, acid soil in moderate-dry areas (but could water it well as plants are establishing), that is in partial to full shade. Have found out about Cheilanthes tomentosa (Wooly lip fern) and Blechnum penna-marina (Little hard fern) and think they may make good ground covers. I already have European ginger doing well in these spots. Has anyone grown these two ferns? I am bordering zones 5b /6 in southwestern Pennsylvania- deer country. Before I buy what could be a fair number of these plants I was hoping someone would give some input. Has anyone ever grown these in full sun just out of curiousity?? I am growing other ferns already in the sun and shade. Thank you so much.

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

If you don't get an answer here, try the new Fern Forum. Good luck!

Export, PA(Zone 5b)

Thank you - I was unaware there was a fern forum- didn't look at the list until your e-mail. Thanks alot!

Beachwood, OH

Try Lady Fern - Felix Femina, there is also a dwarf Japanese Painted Fern - you'll have to search, I have a clump but don't know the name, Selaginella, Club Moss
Also Chinese Ginger - Asarum splendens has a mottle leaf.
And Lily of the Valley
And Epimedium
Violets

So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm trying to fine Maidenhair Spleenwort, a very short fern. No luck though. It's adorable!

Export, PA(Zone 5b)

alyrics and KatyMac-thanks so much

Monroe, NC(Zone 7b)

DG says that Big Dipper Farm carries Maidenhair Spleenwort:

http://davesgarden.com/ps/go/1796

They have so many! The following are all true dwarfs. I love the Lady Fern, but it is a bit big to be dwart, by my standards, particularly when it starts dropoping old fronds, as it is in my garden:

Tatting Fern
Deer Fern
Silver Cloak Fern
Male Fern

and possibly

Peacock Clubmoss,

which is listed as z6 but looks like a great ground coverbut and might be worth a try.

Peter

This message was edited Aug 1, 2006 5:46 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.