YIPEE! Got my babies today!!!!!

Theresa, NY

Got my babies this morning. I work for my town's USPS so, I was waiting before the mail truck even got there this morning to get my babies. I must say I am very impressed with the vigor of these babies. One was scratching for food in the shipping box before I took her out! They came from Cackle Hatchery in Missouri, very satisfied with them. Very long trip for the little sweeties. They sent one extra- looks like an extra Dominique, among the Buff Orpingtons, Silver laced Wyandottes and Golden Wyandottes. They've been eating good and drinking lots of water. None of them had pasty butt. By the way their acting the Dominiques will be the dominant hens, they're bossing the others around already!
NOTE: The date on my digital cam is wrong, can't figure out how to change it lol

This message was edited Jul 21, 2006 6:48 PM

Thumbnail by dingydoo
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Congratulations!!!!

This message was edited Jul 21, 2006 3:15 PM

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Very sweet. Such a fun time when they're little...

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Awww, DD has the Dominiques and red and brown Chanticlers. Free gift was a Polish Silky I just call Cottontop. (Real original huh?)

This message was edited Jul 21, 2006 7:25 PM

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Cackles has great babies.. My keets came from them this year and they
have all done great.. Just moved them to the large pen today form their coop..Great looking chicks.

larkie

SE Arky, United States(Zone 8a)

They are adorable!! I'm stunned that the carrier, from MO, would ship them in the heat and I'm so happy they arrived safely. Good luck!!!!!

Theresa, NY

Thanks all. The babies are still doing well this morning. They slept better than I did last night. My favorite one so far is the smallest Dominique, she's a mean little thing, but the tamest. She likes to be paid attention to. Not sure what to name her yet, other than calling her mean toot! Somewhere I read that for a treat I could give them mealworms. Has anyone else done that?

Does anyone else know how much room you need for caged ducks?

Thanks

Theresa, NY

Another photo of one of my babies, my favorite, I've desided to call her Tootie. She'll jump right into my hand.

Thumbnail by dingydoo
Theresa, NY

Another photo of the girls....

Thumbnail by dingydoo
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Baby chicks are so cute. I love them.

Baby chicks can take a lot of heat the first few days. It is later when they are not accustomed to the constant heat of an incubator or being under the hen that heat begins to get to them. That is why many hatcheries won't ship fewer than 25 chicks at a time, especially in spring and fall.

Theresa, NY

leaflady,
I love them as well. Where I ordered from "Cackle Hatchery" I was able to order a minimum of 15, which was great as 25 was too many for where I live. That was why I went with them initially, but I'm really happy with the health of their chicks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.