Journal 21JUL06

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

WHEW! It's FINALLY cooled off. We received some rain early this morning and again a bit in the late morning... we still need more, but it did cool the temp, it's 75 degrees here in Topeka! A LOT different than the 105 it was yesterday. So here I sit at work, wishing I was home to lay patio blocks and mulch.... The rain started about 5:30 a.m. at my house and I grabbed my coffee and headed for the front porch. Wasn't long (coffee hadn't cooled enough to drink) the wind started whipping around. I yanked down the hanging fern baskets and my glass candle holder & went back inside. Certainly was a welcome rain. My tallest brug did hit the ground, I hope it didn't break the top out. My son told me to just leave it, it'll just blow over again. He will pick it up when he get's home after work. I hope the coolness made it to all you needing a welcome break from the heat. Guess I really should get back to my job....... I'll be outside "playing" in the dirt all weekend. Everyone enjoy theirs-AuntB (Bonnie)

Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

Started to ask you, where is Eskridge? See it is close to Topeka. We're about 100 miles west of you. Oh isn't this cool weather so nice & enjoyable. Supposed to be in 60s for the next 2 nights. We had only a very few sprinkles. And are extremely dry.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Not a drop of rain here either tho about 20 miles SE of us and 11 miles N of us got some short showers this monrning. But the temps dropped dramatically overnight. It was 12 degrees warmer in the house this morning than outside so I borrowed the poultry house fan and put it in the living room window, opened every window I could and stuck fans in them to pull in cool air. When I got home tonight it was still hotter in the house than outside and Jack had closed all the windows except in the utility room. I opened them back up a bit ago and have the fans going again. Like most we are very dry here. I have heard reports of being 9" behind normal rainfall for this time of the year. For about the 4th year in a row. So if it isn't a food plant or a very precious perennial it doesn't get watered. And if it gets watered it will probably get well mulched with paper or cardboard and wood chips on top of that.

Good to hear from people here in the central midwest. I hope we can keep journals going.

GOD bless and keep each of you. Drink lots of water and don't let yourselves too hot out there.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Went out of town yesterday and all the way t o Omaha it rained. At times it was raining so hard we could barely see the semis in front of us!! Other times it was a nice steady rain. It doesn't look like we got much rain here at the house. Got home about noon and everything looks dry. But it did cool down which I am very happy about!!!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Still nice and cool here today. I do wish GOD wouldl send us some water from heaven. The Bible says HE sends the rain on the just and the unjust. So what does that make those of us who are getting no rain at all?LOL

I'm going to mostly rest this afternoon. Hopefully will get to go to Powell Gardens for a few hours tomorrow. Have to be back in Sedalia by 3 or so tho so I can get some prescriptions filled and a couple other things done.

I have a bit of a headache again today. Either barametric pressure change or dehydration could be the probable cause. Or just being really tired. But Jack & I both had one earlier this week that lasted all day too.

I finally had to give up and kill a pretty little banty hen of ours. She had prolapsed and I couldn't get it to stay inside. I had used Anusol(don't laugh too hard now)and that seemed to help somewhat with the swelling. Cold wet packs helped too but only while I was holding it on. I also use mastitis meds just a little ways inside to help fight the inevitable infection from the prolapse getting dirty. I had kept her in the house for a week or so in the same cage as our one pet bunny. Sheldon probably is very happy to have his cage all to himself again.

The kittens are doing fine. They stayed outside while we were at church this morning by their own choice. It is the first time they have wanted to be outside since being dumped and straying in to our yard. Holly and I never could find the little yellow one she had seen the night before. She thought they were a neighbor's being taught to hunt by their mother or she would have attempted to catch it/them then. They are gaining weight and getting very affectionate any time we walk into the utility room. Still don't like one of our dogs tho.

I watered a few plants with water from the duck/goose pool this morning. If I take water out of it as it gets loaded with algae and use it to water plants then I feel as tho I am not wasting water when I refill the pool with a few fresh gallons every couple days.

GOD bless and keep each of you. Drink lots of water and keep cool if possible.

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

Friday we cooled down and received some rain in NKC, but when we got home to Clay Center KS Friday night it was downright DRY. Spent Friday evening and all day Saturday moving sprinklers. Thank you for the neighbor that refilled the pond (puddle) and watered the containers! The mulched beds held up well except for a few items and the cool down is a real blessing. I have to admit after buying furnace/ac filters Friday night and figuring 3 months would be Oct. 21st I went into shock, where does the time go? About the time I get up a real whine about the heat, I realize it is only a short time away until I long for Spring/Summer/Fall weather! Are we ever really happy with the weather when we garden?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

No, we aren't happy with weather for very long. It's either too hot or too cold, too wet or too dry, etc.

I just now remembered that I said I will get those 3 or 4 remaining hills of volunteer potatoes lifted this evening. So I'll go do that right now while it is still nice and there is some light out there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.