Lilacs

Cumming, GA(Zone 7b)

I haven't seen any discussions about growing lilacs, does anyone have any experience with them? I'm in Cumming, GA in zone 7b. I planted four this spring and most of my neighbors seemed surprised that I would even try. Anyone had any experience with them? I'd be very interested to hear about how they've grown in this zone.

Thank you! VJ

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm as stubborn as my old Persian Lilac of 15 years. It doesn't flourish but gives me sparse blooms twice a year, and I'll take it. They should do better for you, farther north, they need the cold.

I've heard "Miss Kim" does well, but it didn't smell like the old-fashioned lilac to me. I'm from Michigan and still remember cutting armloads for my Mom every Memorial Day weekend.

Cumming, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Violabird, thanks for the response.

I have four plants, two each of "Sensations" and another that I can never remember unless I look at the label! I have them growing under a large living room window. Do you have yours on a trellis or any other kind of support? Right now one pair is about 3 ft. rather sturdy and upright, the other pair is still only about 1 - 1 1/2 Ft and a little bushier.

When I lived near Pasadena, there used to be a grower who brought lilacs to the local Farmers Market. One May a friend was having her 50th birthday and I was helping to throw a surprise party and bought buckets of lilacs to decorate with it was just wonderful!

My Mom is 82 and lives with me, her favorite flowers are daffodils so I have about 250 bulbs in the front and back of the house. For the last couple of years they have bloomed gloriously just in time for her birthday. Every couple of days I would bring in a few bunches to put around the house for her. She gets such a kick out them.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm just hoping everything I planted last October and this spring makes it through this drought!

VJ

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

You shouldn't need a support, they wil make a large bush. Just make sure you give them good air circulation and some shade from the hot sun. Hope it does wonderful for you!

You do best with fall plantings here for most shrubs and perennials.

Cumming, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you Violabird! I believe you about the fall plantings. Right after I planted the lilacs and a few other things it got so hot so quickly I was worrying about loosing it all in the heat!

I'll let you know how they progress!

VJ

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

vja,
I live pretty near you- maybe 1/2 hr away- so our climes are very similar.
I have a lilac that is prob. about 5 ft tall and it has never bloomed- don't know the variety. My SIL has had one for many years and its pretty big and hers has never bloomed, either. I recently found out that its b/c our winters are just too mild. :(

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm in 7b,and I had blooms on all of mine,and I don't remember a milder winter.

BTW,berrygirl,You may have an old batchlor,maybe you need another lilac.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Really Mike? I just have one, will another help? Does the variety matter?

Cumming, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Mike! Hopefully with four plants I'll get some blooms! Either that or I'll have to think about mulching with ice cubes ! LOL! VJ

Vi,I don't think a lilac will flower with just one shrub,not sure,but don't think they are self polinators.What the heck!!Get another one,I'm trying my hand at rooting a couple now.First time for every thing.Mike

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Beg to differ, my lone confused baby does bloom every spring & fall like clockwork, just not the huge tresses I was used to--it's enough to smell. Will get a pic next time if I need to prove it, lol. I'm sure I have one on a disk somewhere but it would be like a needle in a haystack.

Vi,a wise man changes his mind,but a fool never admits his mistakes,glad to know that,but I fermely believed that it took two. Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.