good things about drought

Warner Robins, GA(Zone 8a)

Well I guess we got to live with a drought so one of the good things I noticed was that it prevents weeds from growing in my yard, and remarkably, my bermuda grass is thriving. I've also noticed a lot of the dreaded kudzu vines dying off all around central georgia.

All my tomato plants are dead, along with some of my herbs. I also have found thousands of cucumber beetles congregating on my largest pumpkin vine.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

mcorps, just had to see what you thought was good about this drought............"dreaded kudzu vines dying off all around central georgia"...................LOL............don't ya know they're only sleeping?
They NEVER die!!!!!!!!

Thomson, GA

LOL!! Ain't it the truth!! I read somewhere that not only can a vine grow up to 50' in a season, but the roots are typically 3-9' long. Whoaahh. It might have been easily controlled in other parts of the world, but like so many that visit Georgia, they find they thrive in our little piece of paradise. (And yes, I am referring to human transplants, too, as my DH is a 30 year transplant and eats grits, chicken & dumplin's and fried green tomatoes, and has thrived quite well, thank you!).

Valdosta, GA(Zone 8b)

Only good thing I can think of from the drought is that the mosquitoes seem to be a little less in number this year.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

The drought means not mowing our 3 Ac. of blasted grass every week.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I can add that the stem rot on my Vinca seems under control. Guess I should treat it, but we're leaving town tomorrow (again) and so much on my plate right now. Add it to the fall to-do list. Let's see, ditto on the mosquitos. Drought doesn't seem to agree with them. Yah-ha! Sheila

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

The Peaches will be the sweetest ever because of the drought. The watermelons were too.

Deborah

Cordele, GA

Re: Kudzu

Many years ago, while traveling through Alabama on a GreyHound bus, I sat beside a very sweet lady from the northern states. She looked out the window at the rampant Kudzu festooning the trees and hills and declared,"you people must live on nothing but grape juice and jelly!"

Kudzu is very adaptable. If the roots don't freeze, it will survive much farther north than most folk think. There is a patch growing in Chicago at the edge of a parking lot. the roots over winter under the cement and asphalt and the stems emerge each spring. The vine that covered the south is moving north.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Turtle.................the Rebs always said "the Souths' gonna rise again"...........LOL and it will be up Nawth!!!!!!!!..........The vine that covered the south is moving north.

Warner Robins, GA(Zone 8a)

Us northerners are spying on yall.

When I passed through upson county(thomaston) almost all the kudzu was dying off! Maybe desert conditions would help eliminate kudzu besides grazing.

You also have t remember that kudzu was introduced to the US from the colder parts of japan at the world fair. Well, japan mightve lost the military war of WWll but they surely took over the southeast!

Thomson, GA

mcorps, didn't mimosa and one type of invasive wisteria also come from Japan? It's funny how these plants stay in control in their native habitat but just go crazy in the Southeast USA. DD and I were laughing at the Kudzu along the side of a road near here where it has covered everything for about a mile - from ugly stumps to fences to light poles, and all the structures look like Kudzu monuments! She said she hoped no dogs wandered through there or they might get covered up in mere minutes.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Guardians -- Did you know those "ugly stumps" under the kudzu used to be trees? Look again at the trees toward the outer edge of most kudzu "fields" because they, too, will be covered and then slowly consumed by the kudzu. You may have already known that, but I just always feel so sad to see the tallest, mightiest trees succumb to that stuff. Sheila

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.