I. D. please!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Any help that I can get in identifying this ribbon grass (?) would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Thumbnail by pirl
Great South Bay, Lon, NY(Zone 7a)

The pattern of the variegation looks like P.a. 'Feesey's Form,' but if the picture is recent, a lot of the pink should have faded by now. Maybe it's a newer, pinker cultivar. Of course, the other reds and pinks in the photo may be fooling my eye.

donn - I took the photo last week at Peconic River Herb Farm in Calverton.

Thanks for the help.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Pirl, I think you need to go on a mission here, and contact Peconic River Herb Farm. I would love to know what it is also. Very pretty. The leaves almost look like Yucca to me. I don't know of any of the ribbon grasses that have that coloration. Whatever it is I would love to have some. Polly

I went to their website and looked at their grass list. I found nothing there, so I checked their tropical list (they're well-known for trops) and think I found it.

Phormium tenax 'Pink Stripe'

Thumbnail by donn
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, doesn't that just figure! And of course it is hardy to----not Z5. Good job Donn.

I called them and it's Maori Sunrise - NOT hardy here in zone 7 despite Plant Files word that it is. They suggest bringing it in for the winter: wrong! Too many houseplants. I will try to split it in two and put one half in a pot in the garage and cover the rest with dry autumn leaves, a wrap of insultation and cover that with two big nursery pots topped off with bricks.

Any other thoughts on pushing the zone with it?

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I've been lusting after this and many other phormiums for a while. They grow everywhere in New Zealand, so I presume they like it warm. Hard to find in houston, only the solid purple. I had two--got tired of them because they grew long and droopy. Found out after I discarded them that a haircut would have been all that was needed. Stupid, stupid.

anyway, ask Kell, I think she collects these.

Thanks for the tip!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

i've really been wanting some phormiums too. i love them, but they are no where to be found around here, which makes me wonder how well they would do? any ideas?

There are online sources for cuttings of Phormium, and I know houseplant fanatics who have grown them successfully from cuttings.

Try Googling them.

Donn - what does a cutting look like? A daylily fan? The eye of a hosta? Bulbous?

Thanks.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

my two that I mentioned earlier, were potted in mostly shade and grew fine. The strap like leaves grew too long and droopy for my taste so I took them out, not knowing that a haircut would have renewed them. Now I can't find any more.

Pirl, I only saw them in pots, so I don't know how much root was involved, but they each had 2-3 leaves. Perhaps it would be more accurate to call them divisions than cuttings, but I did find a source for cuttings, through Google.

http://www.foxtailfarms.com/index.htm

Great site! Thanks, donn!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

i had contacted them several times to place an order, but never could get a call back. i'm going to try again. please let me know any info you find from them. i had talked to a guy and he told me which ones he still offered....i don't think all those listed on the website are still available.

I noticed, on the website, they mentioned "Fall 2205 delivery". Let's hope they update it soon.

I did end up buying a huge pot of the Phormium 'Early Sunrise' said to be the same as 'Maori Sunrise'. Thanks to all for the help! It's now in our indoor porch waiting for spring time.

SOLVED: Thread closed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.